Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I retired after 31 years as a Police Officer. All I can say is I am so happy not having to deal with the public anymore.:happybanana: Legitimate complaints need to be addressed in all business. But just because someone one bitches doesn't not make that a valid.:angry: concern.

I have a splitter with an adjustable hydraulic 4 way wedge. All I can say is a large amount of common sense needs to be used compared to conventional single splitters. :havingarest:

I don't know what else I could do other than reply promptly and offer a viable reasonable solution at no cost. I have only seen this a handful of times in very very very extreme cases. Every other time we have paid to have it straightened and a lesson was learned. I wanted to do better for bryan and offer him a better solution. because I couldn't agree with him more. This shouldn't have happened under any circumstance. Most guys that buy these splitters run them hard on a commercial basis. However with anything common sense needs to be exercised. If your running the machine in a manner that appears to be causing it strain, than it is probably causing it strain.

its like a new truck. Is it meant to pull a trailer? yes sir. Is it meant to pull that sled that is trying to stop it? Absolutely not.

I retired after 31 years as a Police Officer. All I can say is I am so happy not having to deal with the public anymore.:happybanana: Legitimate complaints need to be addressed in all business. But just because someone one bitches doesn't not make that a valid.:angry: concern.

I have a splitter with an adjustable hydraulic 4 way wedge. All I can say is a large amount of common sense needs to be used compared to conventional single splitters. :havingarest:

Amen to that brother. You can't have a Superman mentality just because you spent a lot of money. As my former employer used to always tell the new hires, "It's only steel."

Incredible amount of strain put on stuff when doing the mutiwedges. Heck, I use my 4 way sparingly because as you say, common sense comes in. To do something not recommended and expecting nothing to go wrong is where some responsibility needs to come in. Did a worker/employee did it or the owner? It has not been addressed from what I've read. Seems he was willing to try to smooth things and went a lot farther than I would think most would do.

Andrew my comments were meant to be a condolence for having to deal with the public. You have been very open and forthright in this matter which really shouldn't be on an open forum like this, but you didn't really have any chance but to defend yourself and product. When ever I investigated a matter and it doesn't matter what it is. You talk to party A and get a story, talk to party B and get a story. The truth ALWAYS lies somewhere in between, but often much close to one side than the other as it does in this matter.

Once again, Common sense needs to be exercised when using 4 way and greater wedges.

Amen to that brother. You can't have a Superman mentality just because you spent a lot of money. As my former employer used to always tell the new hires, "It's only steel."

Incredible amount of strain put on stuff when doing the mutiwedges. Heck, I use my 4 way sparingly because as you say, common sense comes in. To do something not recommended and expecting nothing to go wrong is where some responsibility needs to come in. Did a worker/employee did it or the owner? It has not been addressed from what I've read. Seems he was willing to try to smooth things and went a lot farther than I would think most would do.

Can't agree more Kevin. I ran my splitter over 3 hours yesterday and only used the 4 way a handle full of times. The log lift is great, auto cycle valve is very quick and convenient but the 4 way doesn't make the quality of splits I like. I sell all of my wood yearly. I intentionally split into what I call "boards" rather than wedge shaped splits that are thicker. It is perfectly seasoned and stove ready by fall and most say you can't get oak dried that quick. I disagree, thin but large splits with a lot of surface area, in full sun, and stacked where it gets plenty of wind off the ground and it dries quickly. Even in the Winter.

When my splitter had a 6way, I was always careful when it was used. Big knottey stuff aways got the 4way first. My wedge extended 24inches tall, thats a lot of leverage to try and bust a knottey round. When I removed the hyd lift, I also cut off the bottom set of wings, so its a 4way all the time now and the wedge doesnt raise and lower. I dont know what kind of white oak Bryan was trying to splt, but it cant be no worse than the 48in dia knotty whiteoak stuff I split this week. But I can also imagine what would have happened to my splitting beam if I had tried to split it with the 6way. Some times, one just has to use common sense. I cant count the nuber of operators I trained over the years while working for the railroad. This was highly specalized equipment and some folks just couldnt comprehend why things had to be done a certain way. I had a operator that had been operating a certain piece of equipment for close to twenty years. Always tearing out the travel motors on the drive wheels, some times weekly and at least one a month.. Nobody could figure out the problem, including the manufacturer. One day I got on the equipment with him, I saw what he was doing wrong. Told him what it was and he refused to listen. A month later, I had a new operator and guess what, no more travel motor problems. Didnt lose another one for the next 3 years that I was there. Manufactor's defect, or defective operator. No guess work needed to find that answer.

I don't know what else I could do other than reply promptly and offer a viable reasonable solution at no cost. I have only seen this a handful of times in very very very extreme cases. Every other time we have paid to have it straightened and a lesson was learned. I wanted to do better for bryan and offer him a better solution. because I couldn't agree with him more. This shouldn't have happened under any circumstance. Most guys that buy these splitters run them hard on a commercial basis. However with anything common sense needs to be exercised. If your running the machine in a manner that appears to be causing it strain, than it is probably causing it strain.

its like a new truck. Is it meant to pull a trailer? yes sir. Is it meant to pull that sled that is trying to stop it? Absolutely not.

I tried and you decided it was best to part ways. I am only warning others, we tried emails and texts. I do not own a commercial outfit and don't have employees to beat this equipment into the ground. You know exactly to the day when I purchased this machine, approximately 7 or 8 months ago and have less than 120 hours, that does not justify a commercial operation. I have other splitters and unfortunately thought your equipment would be a little more efficient, I was wrong. I am paying the price, not you, I am dealing with downtime, not you, I have to pay people to fix this, not you. If you want to operate your business in this manner than you must deal with the criticism in this manner. Every time the machine has an issue, welds crack, steel begins to bend, I will post it for everyone to see. No more sending you texts wondering why bolts are being sheared off or hydraulic pins being sheared off daily sometimes hourly or why steel plate is bending. Had several people, engineers, iron workers, welders look at the machine and at first glance they were impressed and when questions arise and were asked why the difficulties and how to fix, that's when everyone started to scratch their heads, WHY??
You can compare it anyway you want, truck, trailer, sled.
I am only a phone call away, I am pissed, I am aggravated and I have every right to be. I borrowed $20k from a lender to purchase your equipment and I am far from being even remotely satisfied. I will do everything in my power to make sure this is either rectified or I will continue posting updates, photos along with videos on this forum and every other forum "currently 10 as of this moment" that I have access to.
I was advised by counsel that litigation would be to costly and would be easier to settle this dispute quietly "which you declined repeatedly" or document and post videos, photos, repair quotes to every social media outlet, forum, Facebook, YouTube for the sole purpose to cost you sales. The same media outlets you use to generate sales. I offered you insight that would benefit you far more greater than it will ever benefit me, you declined, not me. You told to me to wait till the end of January. I cant afford to take a month off while you fix your mistakes, it has already been a month if not more since our last texts about the grade of steel being used on your wedge and material being used for your slide since the last failure. I spend more time trying to prevent any further damage than I do in actual operating time.
I have other splitters with 60 + months of operating time with a fraction of issues or wear and tear, will post photos if you like. I will not post the brands or models. That should eliminate any commentary from the peanut gallery suggesting a newbie, nuber, youngster, teen or whatever is being referred to as an operator.

Andrew my comments were meant to be a condolence for having to deal with the public. You have been very open and forthright in this matter which really shouldn't be on an open forum like this, but you didn't really have any chance but to defend yourself and product. When ever I investigated a matter and it doesn't matter what it is. You talk to party A and get a story, talk to party B and get a story. The truth ALWAYS lies somewhere in between, but often much close to one side than the other as it does in this matter.

Once again, Common sense needs to be exercised when using 4 way and greater wedges.
There are always 3 sides to a story, proof is in the pudding. This is on an open forum due to the fact someone requested personal experience about the equipment in the beginning thread

He had months, not days or weeks

There are always 3 sides to a story, proof is in the pudding. This is on an open forum due to the fact someone requested personal experience about the equipment in the beginning thread

He had months, not days or weeks
Also, I am responding to a request about any personal experiences with this equipment that was posted by someone 2 years ago which is way before any discussions with eastonmade

Sure getting nowhere fast. Instead of posting and deflaming someone, why dont you take the bent part of the slide off, straighten it back out, put in a new bolt and use the machine. This would give Eastonmade time to get a new frame ready and delivered and you would quit bending the beam and making matters worse. It seems to me it isnt a matter of Easton fixing or replacing, it more of a matter they cant do it in the time line you want. I would quit crying and moaning and start trying to fix it enough to get by until the replacment parts are available. It sucks to get a piece of equipment that doesnt perform as expected, been there and done that, but being unreasonable about getting the problem taken care of doesnt do anybody anygood.

I tried and you decided it was best to part ways. I am only warning others, we tried emails and texts. I do not own a commercial outfit and don't have employees to beat this equipment into the ground.
I have other splitters with 60 + months of operating time with a fraction of issues or wear and tear, will post photos if you like. I will not post the brands or models. That should eliminate any commentary from the peanut gallery suggesting a newbie, nuber, youngster, teen or whatever is being referred to as an operator.

I guess I'm confused. You don't own commercial outfit or have employees but you own several splitters? If you sell firewood that's a commercial outfit to me. You work at MD Group, Inc. Firewood & Outdoor Equipment Rental according to your Facebook page you wanted us to look at is the reason I ask. Can I ask why you put crooked cut pieces through it then? I get it, it happens but I generally single wedge that stuff.

Had several people, engineers, iron workers, welders look at the machine and at first glance they were impressed and when questions arise and were asked why the difficulties and how to fix, that's when everyone started to scratch their heads, WHY??

You've certainly taken the time to post up some images of the splitter damage...

Take some time to post of some images of what caused the damage.

I split oak, hickory and ash with a super split... I have no damage to my splitter.

You've certainly taken the time to post up some images of the splitter damage...

Take some time to post of some images of what caused the damage.

I split oak, hickory and ash with a super split... I have no damage to my splitter.
47022410_1911140055606464_5132552207245246464_n.jpg
Md group Inc is also a equipment rental place. Is it possible the splitter was rented out.

Md group Inc is also a equipment rental place. Is it possible the splitter was rented out.

I saw that as well... And thought the same thing.

In relation to the free sharing of issues with the splitter, and a lack of sharing exactly whats going through the splitter... Id lean towards there is an awareness the machine is being abused and/or rented.

Unless they bought an Eastonmade too, one is shown in their company pic flyer. They advertise oak and osage for sale as well..... looks like they do a lot of curbside pickups and wood from tree trimmers. That would explain all the crooked cuts.

I tried and you decided it was best to part ways. I am only warning others, we tried emails and texts. I do not own a commercial outfit and don't have employees to beat this equipment into the ground. You know exactly to the day when I purchased this machine, approximately 7 or 8 months ago and have less than 120 hours, that does not justify a commercial operation. I have other splitters and unfortunately thought your equipment would be a little more efficient, I was wrong. I am paying the price, not you, I am dealing with downtime, not you, I have to pay people to fix this, not you. If you want to operate your business in this manner than you must deal with the criticism in this manner. Every time the machine has an issue, welds crack, steel begins to bend, I will post it for everyone to see. No more sending you texts wondering why bolts are being sheared off or hydraulic pins being sheared off daily sometimes hourly or why steel plate is bending. Had several people, engineers, iron workers, welders look at the machine and at first glance they were impressed and when questions arise and were asked why the difficulties and how to fix, that's when everyone started to scratch their heads, WHY??
You can compare it anyway you want, truck, trailer, sled.
I am only a phone call away, I am pissed, I am aggravated and I have every right to be. I borrowed $20k from a lender to purchase your equipment and I am far from being even remotely satisfied. I will do everything in my power to make sure this is either rectified or I will continue posting updates, photos along with videos on this forum and every other forum "currently 10 as of this moment" that I have access to.
I was advised by counsel that litigation would be to costly and would be easier to settle this dispute quietly "which you declined repeatedly" or document and post videos, photos, repair quotes to every social media outlet, forum, Facebook, YouTube for the sole purpose to cost you sales. The same media outlets you use to generate sales. I offered you insight that would benefit you far more greater than it will ever benefit me, you declined, not me. You told to me to wait till the end of January. I cant afford to take a month off while you fix your mistakes, it has already been a month if not more since our last texts about the grade of steel being used on your wedge and material being used for your slide since the last failure. I spend more time trying to prevent any further damage than I do in actual operating time.

Do all those other splitters have 6 way wedges too? Why would someone not commercial need so much gear? And why would someone not commercial be losing so much money from downtime on one of their 6 or 8 or whatever splitters they own?

Sounds like somebody isn't telling the whole story. I built my own splitter and I could break it in half tomorrow if I wanted to. Put a nasty crotch piece on it backwards with the 4 way wedge all the way up. And to do it on one pass I will remove the nut off the 1 st slide bolt. No one is getting fooled here. Mudd has already stated the obvious.
120 hours and not commercial, giving all that wood away?

Back