Echo 590 vs Husky 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randydb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I want to give up our L65 and get a new saw. 40+ years out of the Husky L65 was really good value. We basically cut about 3 cords and the odd slab or 6x6 at our cabin.

I can pick up an Echo 590 for $500 cdn or a Husky 455 rancher for $435. Both are brand new. Would I be fine with either one? Any reason to pay $65 more for the Echo? As you can tell I haven't bought a new saw in a looooonggg time Is there anything else out there I should be considering in a similar price range?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

Echo seems to be a serious about making great saws. They are so good that even saw troll being a serious husky guy feels the need to post on every echo thread. Get the 590
So I can expect saw troll to be here soon? Seems like a pretty helpful guy...even if he may have a bit of a bias :) I sure like Huskys too, but I'm open to hearing suggestions. I would love my next saw to last as long as the L65 did and to have my son posting in 40yrs asking what saw he should get next!

The Echo is a way better deal. The Husky is overpriced, the Echo underpriced, IMO. Much better quality and performance than the big box Huskys.

Well, I'm looking at about $750 here in Canada for a 555. That makes the Echo a heck of a lot cheaper at $500.

So the Echo and 455 really aren't comparable saws? 590 is more comparable to a 555?
I just started out with a few searches and basically went off price and engine size when I came to these two saws.

Echo has done a very good job at pricing their saws in the farm/ranch class but bring a lot of pro build quality as well as performance. Just make sure it is tuned properly and use good quality fuel and oil on any saw you buy.

Well, I'm looking at about $750 here in Canada for a 555. That makes the Echo a heck of a lot cheaper at $500.

So the Echo and 455 really aren't comparable saws? 590 is more comparable to a 555?
I just started out with a few searches and basically went off price and engine size when I came to these two saws.
The 455 is not a bad saw, but is a plastic case homeowner saw.

The Echo 590 and Husky 555 are metal case saws and better IMO. The 555 is smaller, lighter & handles better than the 590. Both good saws but different, I would never buy a saw based on price alone... Go handle both saws and pick the one you like best.

I think the 455 rancher is a 55cc saw. The 590 is a 60cc saw. As has been said, both are "prosumer" saws, while the husky is mostly because of marketing, the echo actually brings some pro features. The biggest difference is 5cc more and an aluminum (or is it magnesium?) case on the echo. BUT, it has a plastic top handle. The husky has a metal top handle (I believe) but a plastic case. I think the husky will be a little lighter. I handled a 590 in a local Home Depot and it felt heavy and bulky, more like a 70cc saw.

Anyway, both saws will cut wood. The echo will be a little heavier and could pull a 20" bar a little better than the 455. Either should be fine for firewood duty, but I don't know that either would last 40 years.

The Husky 555 is more comparable to the Echo 590: magnesium case, 60cc, basically a detuned version of the husky 562xp (but with an in-house made Husqvarna top end instead of a Mahle top end). I'm not sure but I think the 555 is an autotune strato saw, while the 590 is just a regular carb non-strato saw. That could explain part of the price difference.

The Husky 555 is more comparable to the Echo 590: magnesium case, 60cc, basically a detuned version of the husky 562xp (but with an in-house made Husqvarna top end instead of a Mahle top end). I'm not sure but I think the 555 is an autotune strato saw,
The 555 & 562xp both have the same Mahl cylinder, difference being the transfer covers.

Yes, 555 is auto tune and strato charged.

The 590/600 is a torque monster and a noodle machine.its absolutely impossible to clog it.they also have an inboard clutch unlike the huskys.so its just a little easier to put the bar and chain on.also comes in handy if to get the saw stuck you can take the power head off and get it out of the way if you have to.the whole plastic vs aluminum handle debate is kinda crazy.stihl put plastic handles on its pro saws too like the 026/260 and 036/360.no difference to me between the two.

Latest posts

Back