Echo 650evl oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrence Jefferson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm working on a echo 650evl for a friend and he said it doesn't oil. I looked at and sure enough it doesn't oil. I removed the oil plunger/pump and replaced the o rings on it and still nothing. It kinda trickels out but no where near enough to oil the bar. I'm hoping I can fix this for him cause he gave me a pioneer p41 so least I can do is try to fix this for him. I also tried some 10wt bar oil but same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

If there is a hole in the hose upstream of the pump it will pump very little or none at all.
One more thing to consider

It is very common for the pickup lines that feed those pump designs to dissolve. The pumps (aside from o-rings) generally are bullet proof. I haven't been into a 650, but have replaced many lines on other vl/evl saws. There should be a nipple or barb fitting at the case where the pump is located. It should route out to the tank wher the strainer/pickup is. Make sure that line is sound. If it is dissolved or broken in the tank, it should still pull oil provided you have the tank filled up past that point. That would at least confirm the pump is operating. As well, the nut on the pump and case were often punched with corresponding marks to indicate the ideal point to thread the pump body into the case. Generally when the pump is seated completely down, it will pump max volume when backed out 2/3-3/4 turn give or take. From there, the pump should decrease flow when opened another 3/4 turn or so. Set your stop accordingly to limit the pump being adjusted within those parameters. You can also visually inspect oil flow at the bar pad and set the stop that way.

Thank you for the help I will look into the pick up hose tomorrow. I'm pretty confident that the pump works but when I got the saw the pump was unscrewed and the lock tab is all bent. So the flow adjustments were helpful.

I got it all figured out tonight. The problem was the oil hole to the pump was plugged up. I ended up tearing the whole saw down and cleaning it up as it was pretty packed with saw dust. Then checked the oiler operation and cut some cookies and was impressed with the saw. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back