Echo bar adapter for Stihl pattern bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inventtis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a bar adapter available that would allow a Stihl 12mm bar to be ran on an Echo CS-590 or cs-600?

Is it necessary to adapt the oil hole or anything else to make this work?

I've seen a couple of video's on youtube of people running different bars, but I don't know how they did it.

Here is a one with a Husqvarna bar by Mastermind Worksaws.

This guy has a CS-670 with a ProMac bar. Says a Husky/Jred bar will work with an Oregon K095 mount.

Does anybody know anything about this?

I'm not sure that answered my questions, but I looked at the thread. Does anybody know what the bar mount is on the Echo's in question?

Sell the bar on Flee-bay and buy one thats an exact fit.

I can say that I've never been 100% satisfied with any adapter for any equipment, tool or automotive application.

How do you guys keep track of the different bars for the different brands of saws that you have? The same could be asked about pitches and gauges of chain. Some of you suggest having more than one size of bar for you saws. Seems like a pain in the ass.

I believe the 8 mm adpters that come with the "universal" SV mount Sugihara bars are meant to fit (if the adapters still come with them?). The oil holes shouldn't be a problem, as the D176 and the 12mm Stihl bars both have a "D" size tail (Oregon system). Sometimes minor adjustment may be in order though.

I'm not sure that answered my questions, but I looked at the thread. Does anybody know what the bar mount is on the Echo's in question?

I don't think it does, unless there are random comments on it in the thread.

I believe the 8 mm adpters that come with the "universal" SV mount Sugihara bars are meant to fit (if the adapters still come with them?). The oil holes shouldn't be a problem, as the D176 and the 12mm Stihl bars both have a "D" size tail (Oregon system). Sometimes minor adjustment may be in order though.

I don't think it does, unless there are random comments on it in the thread.

What do you mean by "minor adjustment may be in order" does this indicate a little reshaping of the oil hole or moving it all together?

Oh dear lord would you all just give the man some directions... Give a man a fish or teach him to fish kinda deal here...

If you ever need a bar mount code just use the bar selector tool at http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/BarSelector and then use the bar code (k095, a041, D009) found there at http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e39f46cf37dbe4a088256e0d0051dd49?OpenDocument to compare bar slots and kinda see the tail size difference.

The D176 is an 8mm mount and the stihl is a 12mm mount. Yes it is necessary to align the oiler holes so that the bar will lubricate the chain. Both the tails are "D" size as Troll pointed out, so take off your chain guide from the saw and place it over your stihl bar. This will show you a direct compairison on where the echo and stihl both oil and you can make oiling adjustments as needed. You will probably need to elongate the oiling hole (just a little bit) on the stihl bar so that it will match with the oiling hole on your chain guide. You should also "mach up" you stihl bar on the echo saw (use some wood shims between bar studs and bar slot) to make sure the bar and chain you are putting on will clear and that nothing is going to rub/rash/cut into the chainsaw.

Page 14: item marked #46 is your chain guide if you don't know what I was talking about above...
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/echocs670.pdf

That being said, you need an adapter that will change your bar studs from 8mm to 12mm so that there isn't any slop in the bar.

PM member "Homelite410" b/c he makes custom adapters for these circumstances.

If this is too much work, then go to the "swap meet" thread on here and offer a trade or $$$ for a echo mount bar.

Thanks, I had discovered all of those links previously, I was hoping for greater detail in the dimensioning of the bar mounting systems. I was considering buying an Echo, but it would be nice to have interchangeable bars with my Stihl if a reason ever occurred to do so.

nstueve, you did answer my oil hole question, thank you.

sawtroll was helpful also.

Thanks, I had discovered all of those links previously, I was hoping for greater detail in the dimensioning of the bar mounting systems. I was considering buying an Echo, but it would be nice to have interchangeable bars with my Stihl if a reason ever occurred to do so.

nstueve, you did answer my oil hole question, thank you.

sawtroll was helpful also.

pretty simple really... stihl is one of the biggest slots you can use (except for the 14mm on some) so you just have to buffer the distance between smaller bar studs and the bar slot and adjust for oiling capability.

Your next question will be how long of a bar are you putting on, what chain pitch, and can the saw handle the bar/chain size and oiling.

Does anybody know if there is a bar adapter available that would allow a Stihl 12mm bar to be ran on an Echo CS-590 or cs-600?

Is it necessary to adapt the oil hole or anything else to make this work?

I've seen a couple of video's on youtube of people running different bars, but I don't know how they did it.

Here is a one with a Husqvarna bar by Mastermind Worksaws.

This guy has a CS-670 with a ProMac bar. Says a Husky/Jred bar will work with an Oregon K095 mount.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Here's a rough sketch of how i made my adapter for my Redmax that uses the same bar.. I started with a piece of mild steel stock from the hardware store, 3'X1/2"x1/8". Drill two holes 31mm apart, thru the center. They have to be lightly larger than 8mm in diameter. You need two more holes for the screws that hold ln the steel plates under the bar. I think I just used 1/4" for that, forget the distance between. If you use a larger drill, you don't have to be so accurate. Cut and radius the ends with a bench grinder or file. next you'll have to take some material off both sides to bring the width from 13mm (.5") to a little less than 12mm. I had to elongate one of the 8mm holes a little, used a 7/32" chain file. Mine works well and everything lines up. There is less slop than with the Stihl bar mount studs.

If this isn't clear enough, let me know and I will post a foto of the finished adapter.

adapter_N0266.jpg

What do you mean by "minor adjustment may be in order" does this indicate a little reshaping of the oil hole or moving it all together?

Reshapening/adjusting at most - as far as I know.

Btw, it some time helps on bars that come with the "correct" tail pattern as well.

..... .

Another topic, but stay away from Echo if you can!

Also be aware that there are mistakes (or misprints) in the Acres document, so double check the critcal info on this forum before trusting it. ;)

Back