Echo Chainsaw - Never again will buy one - poor quality and poor customer service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-8_Jim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Posting as a warning for future prospective Echo Chainsaw buyers...

I bought a CS-520 chainsaw from a Echo equipment dealer in the same town (Lake Zurich, IL) as Echo corporate office.

Since then and within the warranty period:
- 3 of the screws on the cover vibrated out (no locking washer or Loctite used at the factory).
- half the slotted screw head on the bar oil adjustment screw snapped off (clearly a metalurgical issue with Echo's screw supplier... who ever heard of half slotted screw heads snapping off?!?!?!)

These are no-brainer issues that should have never occurred in the first place.

Echo's customer service policy is that the owner needs to:

- take the saw back to an Echo Dealer,
- pay the $40-$50 for the Echo dealer to look at the missing screw or broken screw,
- wait 4-6 weeks for the Echo Dealer to file a warranty claim, get a response and fix the saw
- hope that Echo warranty dept approves the claim (Note: it better be within the warranty period to the EXACT day)

Even a phone call to Echo Customer Service found that Echo Customer Service Supervisor "Christine" was adamant in following Echo's Corporate Policy and would not simply drop the oil adjuster screw in an envelop to me (thereby saving the $40-$50 + repair labor Echowould otherwise have to pay the Echo Dealer).

So it is not just bad enough that apparently Japanese Echo saws have the same assembly or parts quality as all the Chinese junk that is flooding the US (aka, Harbor Freight, Big Box Store private label, etc.), but Echo owners also need to pay out of pocket for the Echo Dealer to look at the saw (without taking it apart) and then wait 4-6 weeks!!!

I can't imagine Stihl and Husqvarna treat customers this way or have such shoddy parts/assembly.

Any Stihl or Husqvarna owners with better quality or customer service experience?

This Echo saw is proving not much better than the Poulan PP4620AVX I previously had (which was a bit of a junk saw).

Sorry to hear.
I have never has an issue with my cs 520.
And as for screws comming out. Iv had far more husky bolts fall out then the echo. Id just buy the bolts. They are cheap enough.
Im sure all brands have had ther issues. Just my $0.02

Sorry to hear.
I have never has an issue with my cs 520.
And as for screws comming out. Iv had far more husky bolts fall out then the echo. Id just buy the bolts. They are cheap enough.
Im sure all brands have had ther issues. Just my $0.02

Either that or just buy some screws and call it a day.

I Echo your sentiment, pun intended! Unless you have a stripped screw hole, put the screw in and move on.

That's why ACE Hardware exists! They have screws for damn near anything.

There are a lot of experienced and smart people on this board.
May I point out that the Oil Adjuster screw is not a screw you can buy at the local hardware store:
part_p_540897_1411060427.gif

I see what you are saying. I bought an 8 year old Echo CS-370, dang thing had 1 muffler nut missing. talk about poor craftsmanship. Took other nut off and went to hardware store and found one in 2 minutes. Cost me like $0.40.

I see what you are saying. I bought an 8 year old Echo CS-370, dang thing had 1 muffler nut missing. talk about poor craftsmanship. Took other nut off and went to hardware store and found one in 2 minutes. Cost me like $0.40.
Please note: Screw(s) in question are not available at local hardware store.

Besides, if you bought a new car or truck, would you expect screws to fall out within the warranty period?

I remember the days when "Made in USA" meant quality and "Made in Japan" meant junk
Then "Made in the USA" meant junk (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC) and "Made in Japan" meant quality (Honda, Toyota, Fuji Heavy Industry)
Looks like now "Made in Japan" means junk (Echo)

All saws can have problems. My 372 has spit out both muffler bolts and two recoil cover bolts. I've never had one of those oil adjusters go bad; only ones I've had go bad are the threaded "screws" which bend or strip.

Please note: Screw(s) in question are not available at local hardware store.

Besides, if you bought a new car or truck, would you expect screws to fall out within the warranty period?

I remember the days when "Made in USA" meant quality and "Made in Japan" meant junk
Then "Made in the USA" meant junk (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC) and "Made in Japan" meant quality (Honda, Toyota, Fuji Heavy Industry)
Looks like now "Made in Japan" means junk (Echo)

The thread pattern/type can't be matched up???

Yeah I get that. I was referring to the "3 screws on the cover that vibrated out"

Very classy!
Clearly I'm not the person representig his class.

But if I had such a problem recieving the correct service I would go to the next dealer, although personaly we have enough dealers here online which have proven their record time and time again for all type of brands. I wouldn't worry one second.

Back