Echo CS-620PW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally nailed down a new CS-620PW to add to my collection. It was a great price although a little risky E-bay purchase, but it panned out fine.

It just showed up, will get some pics of it up here in a day or so. Planning on removing the limiter caps on the carb and opening up the muffler deflector before testing it.

I now have a CS-590, CS-600, and CS-620PW to compare to each other and post some results....stay tuned.....Cliff

Echo has their saws set up WAY too lean to meet EPA standards. We give them the fuel they need right from the start to avoid any potential P/C damage.

Looking forward to putting some time on the CS-620PW next week to see how it runs compared to the CS-590 and 600P. Echo advertises 13% more power, which is hard to believe considering how well those saws run......Cliff

I'd guess the CS620 come with a more open muffler. Maybe raised the exhaust port to up the RPM, let us know how the torque is between them as a high exhaust will lower lower rpm torque. Steve

I've owned a new 600P, new 590 and a used 590, I have yet to have the chance to run or own a 620P, would love to at least run one to see if I'd want to own one, they look to be very good runners.

Looking at the IPL's, just about every part on the CS-620PW shows different parts for the engine. Crankshaft, rod, piston, cylinder, carb, muffler, coil, etc.

I've been thrilled with how well the CS-590 and 600P have performed, been running them for quite some time and logged a lot of hours on them, and they have been flawless everywhere.

The CS-590's coil seems to cut-in a tad lower in the rpm range than the 600P, but it is difficult to tell any real power difference between them. I installed a 24" bar on the 600P and have been using it to take down a bunch of Ash trees in a 45 acres piece of woods near here. I'm using a large mount Husqvarna bar on it from my 480CD, 80 drive link .050" full chisel chain. The oil hole is close enough that it works fine and haven't had any issues with that deal yet. I haven't read anyplace where those bar will fit these saws, so figured I test it a while before saying it's a no or no-go on them.

I did some time test cutting between the 600P and Husqvarna 262XP. The 600P was just a tad quicker for 3 cuts, showing that they do have great power for the cc's. Really looking forward to seeing how the 13% more advertised power of the CS-620PW stacks up against the 600P. We'll get it well broken in, then do some time tests cuts to find out.......Cliff

Finally got to spend some time with the CS-620PW. Carefully removed the limiter caps, ground of the stops and put them back in place. I also removed the muffler deflector and opened it up as shown in the picture.

This entire process takes less than 20 minutes, these saws are very easy to work on.

The saw fired on the 3rd pull and was WAY to lean on the "L" speed screw, but not far off at all on the "H" speed screw. Had to move the "L" screw apprx 1/4 turn rich and the "H" speed screw about one screwdriver blade rich. There was too much ice here to get to the woods for any cutting. Warmer weather is on the way so should be able to at least get to the wood pile and cut up a few huge chunks of Ash to get a feel for how the saw is going to perform......Cliff

IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1685.JPG

I still wish I could justify owning one. I think they are really neat saws.

I (and 2 sons) love the Echo 60 cc saws. No probs with any of them,other than coming too lean out of the box. The older I get, the more I appreciate a 60cc saw. I spent some time yesterday w/ a 288 and it got heavy.

Warmer weather is on the way so should be able to at least get to the wood pile and cut up a few huge chunks of Ash to get a feel for how the saw is going to perform......Cliff
Looking forward to your comparison tests! I'd be interested to see how it compares to the others fresh out of the box and then after some run time to see how much it wakes up after a few tanks. I've been pleased with my 590.

My CS-590 has been flawless, and great power for the cc's.

Some obvious improvements with the 620 are removable drive sprocket, metal full wrap handle, higher quality bar, dual spikes, unlimited cool and advertised 13% more power.

It's also twice the price. I still consider the CS-590 Timberwolf the best bargain out there in a 60cc saw.

With the holidays and crappy weather it may be a week or so before I get to run the 620.....Cliff

I was just flipping a coin for a week over my new saw purchase. I ended up with the Dolmar 6100. It came down to eeny meeny minni mo. Dolmar was mo. But I still like that 620.

A screwdriver thickness on H and a 1/4 turn L you describe as 'WAY' lean. Were the needles turned as far CCW as they could against the stops/limiters prior to deleting them or was there enough adjustment room for proper tune? Congrats on new saw, it looks really nice!

A screwdriver thickness on H and a 1/4 turn L you describe as 'WAY' lean. Were the needles turned as far CCW as they could against the stops/limiters prior to deleting them or was there enough adjustment room for proper tune? Congrats on new saw, it looks really nice!

Its not uncommon to see a carb with limiters that will not allow rich enough mixture on the H side...especially in cold weather. My 357xp had limiters and with them on the high end stop it was screaming lean and gutless. Very easy to stall out the chain, especially when dogged in. Knocked them off with a bench grinder, retuned and it ran beautifully with good torque. The EPA is seriously neutering some of these saw models and causing them to run hot....especially with saws with cat mufflers and limiters.

Latest posts

Back