Echo CS370 - what a great chainsaw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetgumsux

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought mine new on markdown for $149.00 about 6 years ago. I never had to adjust the carb and right out of the box this thing ran perfectly. Its lightweight , easy to start , and really cuts well for a 16 " bar and smaller engine. I use 3 cords of wood per year , mostly hickory, oak, hackberry and this little saw never lets me down. Always starts up in cold weather and even when the motor is hot.

For the money, I think it is 1 of the best values going. Are they still made in Japan ?

I bought mine new on markdown for $149.00 about 6 years ago. I never had to adjust the carb and right out of the box this thing ran perfectly. Its lightweight , easy to start , and really cuts well for a 16 " bar and smaller engine. I use 3 cords of wood per year , mostly hickory, oak, hackberry and this little saw never lets me down. Always starts up in cold weather and even when the motor is hot.

For the money, I think it is 1 of the best values going. Are they still made in Japan ?
Yes, still made in Japan. I think all of the Echo line are great values in their respective sizes.

Ive used mine for years, to cut 2-3 cords of wood per year and never had problems with the clutch. I guess a clutch driven oiler isn't completely necessary ?

Echo chainsaws are definitely well built, easy starting, reliable chainsaws, and I understand your happiness with the good price on your CS-370. No matter how good this saw runs right from the factory, it will run better muffler modded with the carb readjusted, and it will last longer. Just remember, no matter how good it runs, it has a potato stuck up its exhaust pipe. (that was figuratively speaking). The CS-370 muffler is even easier to modify than the CS-400 because you don't have to enlarge the exhaust port under the deflector. The one suggestion I would like to make should you attempt this simple task, is rather than remove the entire catalytic biscuit, use a small drill to center your pilot hole and then only enlarge to about 1/2" with a larger drill bit. Try the saw that way first, as it may be call you need. Too much reduction of back pressure and some smaller cc saws tends to increase the need for a few extra seconds of warm up time before cutting their best. In other words, some saws seem like they are running too rich until they warm up. The rpm is surprised temporarily until the saw hits proper operating temperature. After that, you don't notice the problem because it completely disappears. I have found this to be good advice with the smaller CS-352 that is only 34 cc. Your saw is 36 cc so there is not all that much difference in displacement, and don't wish to see you dissatisfied with the process.

Echo chainsaws are definitely well built, easy starting, reliable chainsaws, and I understand your happiness with the good price on your CS-370. No matter how good this saw runs right from the factory, it will run better muffler modded with the carb readjusted, and it will last longer. Just remember, no matter how good it runs, it has a potato stuck up its exhaust pipe. (that was figuratively speaking). The CS-370 muffler is even easier to modify than the CS-400 because you don't have to enlarge the exhaust port under the deflector. The one suggestion I would like to make should you attempt this simple task, is rather than remove the entire catalytic biscuit, use a small drill to center your pilot hole and then only enlarge to about 1/2" with a larger drill bit. Try the saw that way first, as it may be call you need. Too much reduction of back pressure and some smaller cc saws tends to increase the need for a few extra seconds of warm up time before cutting their best. In other words, some saws seem like they are running too rich until they warm up. The rpm is surprised temporarily until the saw hits proper operating temperature. After that, you don't notice the problem because it completely disappears. I have found this to be good advice with the smaller CS-352 that is only 34 cc. Your saw is 36 cc so there is not all that much difference in displacement, and don't wish to see you dissatisfied with the process.

Ty....Ive never modded it , but you think it will run even better if I modify the muffler on it ? Is there a video or article with photos for this modification on the cs370 ? Id like to try it.

There are big gains to be had by taking the cat out of the smaller echo mufflers. The power gains are nice but one of the biggest benefits is it gets a lot of heat away from the exhaust side of the cylinder.

Before doing a muffler mod, lets do first things first, just to make sure you are successful in removing the limiters. If you can't remove the limiters, don't do the muffler mod. Get yourself a 3 1/2" Deck Screw in size 6, and have a size 8 standing by. Screw down into the red plastic limiter until you seem to be hitting metal and the plastic is about to strip (stop before you do that). Get yourself a vice grips and firmly lock onto the dry wall screw. I wear gloves while doing this, and pull up with steady and strong pressure. Sometimes I pull up and the red cap doesn't come along. I then go to the other limiter cap and have at it. Usually the aluminum positioning plate comes up with a limiter and the worst is over. You might have to use a size 8 deck screw if the 6 screw stripped out, but you will get them out. It is a good idea to have a set of hemostats available for finesse work. Everyone talks about aligning the slots, but I seldom have luck with that, as when I screw in the dry wall screw, the plastic stops move, regardless of how I had them positioned. I just bully the limiters out. Works almost every time, and when it doesn't, I remove the recoil mechanism and outer plastics to gain better access to the limiters. I use a carbide cutting tool to remove the aluminum spacer, and then I have complete access to the limiters. Once the limiters are gone, I reset the low (closest to the carb) to about 2.5 turns out, and the high to about 3 1/4 turns out. I turn up the idle screw about 1 turn just for starters. This is just an initial adjustment, and you will likely be too rich, but you can lean that out later.

Once you know the limiters are out, you can remove the muffler. There are two nuts holding it on, 5/16 socket. Remove the nuts, then slide the muffler off the two muffler retaining bolts. Study the muffler and locate the catalytic converter biscuit (you can't miss it - looks like a dense catacomb). I would recommend using a face mask or respirator when drilling the catalytic converter, as it is supposed to have cancer causing properties. Drill a small pilot hole into the center of the catalytic biscuit. Now use larger drills to open the hole diameter up to about 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter. I wouldn't take anymore out than that, because what remains of the biscuit helps to quiet the saw but doesn't materially add to increased power should you completely remove it (some might disagree, but the extra removal of cat isn't going to make that much mower power at this point). The other side of the muffler is a breeze. Remove the screws that hold the deflector in place. Remove the #30 screen and the deflector. You want to grind out the lower level deflector blocking material, leaving the higher rear deflector exhaust scoop. Use an air hose to blow out the muffler, and wash in warm soapy water, rinse, and blow out again. Let the muffler completely dry and reinstall the deflector and screen. Reinstall the muffler with #25 torx driver. Now you can start your tuning process. If you use a tach, keep your maximum rpm to around 12,200 - 12,300 once warm. Run your saw with 40:1 2 cycle synthetic oil, mixed with premium non-ethanol gasoline. Your saw will become a little breast.

Back