Even got my Stihl dealer puzzled!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekndcutter

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Stihl ms290 from an old man. Saw is in great shape. Anyways.. he had a 16” bar with 3/8 chain. I wanted to go bigger. But before I did that I wanted to switch to .325 chain. Went to my local stihl dealer. Asked for a .325-7t sprocket to match my larger bar. He had one. Came home realized he gave me a .325 eight-8t but the sprocket was too small on the inside. Drive back there. Told him he gave me the wrong one. I showed the sprocket that was on there. He was puzzled. It had the larger inner size. He said I had to buy a different clutch drum. Bought one, came home. Didn’t fit. Went back there again. I had to get a smaller needle bearing. Anyways the saw I bought came with the ms360 bearing, clutch drum and sprocket. Is there anything wrong running that set up on a 290? Thanks! My dealer said he’s never seen anything like that before.

factory drum on them is a stihl specific "mini spline", what you had was the Oregon replacement drum which had "small spline". when your dealer gave you a rim it was mini spline which as you can tell by the name is smaller than small spline drums. all you needed was the matching small spline rim...Oregon 11892 IIRC

what he sold you is fine but all you really needed was a $5 small spline rim

It was a stihl clutch drum part #
stihl 1125 1602902 a
I know all I needed was the $5.00 part. But unfortunately didn’t have that one in stock. it was Saturday evening and no stihl dealers around here are open on Sunday’s. Had to go cut some wood on Sunday.

You can swap clutch drums no problems between 1127 saws (029, MS390 etc) and the 036/MS360. I think the 034 may be added to the list but I am not 100% sure.

No problem running a 3/8" sprocket from a 036 on an MS290: I had a genuine Stihl one on my last MS290 (cannot remember the code) which I sold recently. In fact I think over 50% of 290's around have that set-up, using either genuine or original drums. They won't win any speed contest but they are ultra-reliable performers.

All that wasted gas, time and money on the wrong parts when you could have just bought a new loop of 3/8 chain and went cutting. Good luck

Back