Ever seen a left handed saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdsteele

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One of my co-workers is a south paw and likes to remind me that its a right handed world so I guess that explains it, but has anyone ever seen a saw with the bar mounted on the left side?

I cant think of any particular reason why this wouldn't work. But I wonder about stuff like this from time to time. :D

couldn't say. In carpentry, worm drive circular saws are blade left and sidewinders are blade right. Blade right is pita for righties, as you can't see the cut without leaning over your own soulder. What's it mean? Means that it's Sunday afternoon and raining for one. :)

I've noticed that on my corded circular saws too. Except my cordless one is blade left. Who makes these decisions any way?

I know this is a useless comment but one of my left handed mates once reminded me that the left side of the brain controls the right side of your body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of your body.

He than went onto say because of that, "left handed people are right minded"

I couldn't argue with that one:(

YES, I was an idiot and passed one up at the yard sale I got my 090 from a couple years back. It's still the only one I've ever seen. I have no idea what manufacturer it was since I wasn't totally ridden with CAD back then, but I do remember it was a greenish-yellow color so I'd guess either McCulloch or an old old Poulan maybe. I've seen a lot of Pioneers and never a leftie one. The guy at the yard sale said "I damn near cut my leg off with that fool thing years ago... Never used it since!". I can see how that could happen. It would take a while to get used to if you were running it in right-handed fashion, I suppose.

As a lefty who has ran saws right handed my whole life, I'm not sure if I could make the transition back to the left on this one.

Well thanks Brad. Knowing that one may exist I have a new mission to find one. If anyone has a pic or knows a make/model please post it.

In the top of a tree you learn to be ambidextrous. :greenchainsaw:

Or, felling or bucking on a hillside.

Also stumping in tight quarters.

I'm sure there are more situations.

Mr. HE:cool:

I did find this with a google search but it's not exactly what I had in mind. Not that i would be to upset to come accross a case or three.

L.M. Cox Beaver 140.

COX+SAW+002.jpg

Same folks that brought you the flying model stuff.

It looks like Stihl made several prototypes, but probably never produced any for the general market.

Stihllefthandsaws.jpg

:jester:

Everything is built for right-handed people. At least now you can have several options for left-handed rifles. I think that I need to apply for a $500,000 government grant to study the impact of right-handed saws on the poor underpriviledged left-handed people that run them! In the mean time I will just suffer along with my right-hand saws!:givebeer:

i think

i think the chineese saw makers make a couple cant remeber:givebeer: me i am a south paw and just learned how to run the saw left and right hand.

I knew that if one existed someone here would know about it. I wouldn't mind one of those Stihl's. Where did you find them? It looks like they are in a museum.

I knew that if one existed someone here would know about it. I wouldn't mind one of those Stihl's. Where did you find them? It looks like they are in a museum.

Notice that post was by a clown.

It is a flipped image.

Who said Clown?!?!?!?

Jester! That post was by a Jester, journeyman, local 556 to be specific.

As a lefty who has ran saws right handed my whole life, I'm not sure if I could make the transition back to the left on this one.

Another lefty here. I think it's better having your dominant hand on the bar. It's not like it takes any dexterity to mash the trigger.

Jack

Heres some real Lefty saws.

Titan 30
cal61.jpg

cal63.jpg

Lancaster 400 Super
cal107.jpg

cal109.jpg

Porter Cable 530
cut272-1.jpg

cut279-1.jpg

i think the chineese saw makers make a couple cant remeber:givebeer: me i am a south paw and just learned how to run the saw left and right hand.

I'll gladly continue on cutting right handed if my only left handed option is some Chinese garbage.

Don't hold me to it, but I believe Mac and Homelite both made a left handed big timber saw in the 60's and 70's. I have seen a picture my friend has of a guy in Alaska facing a big spruce with a lefty Homelite.

Latest posts

Back