FarmerTec Huztl MS180/250 Complete Chainsaw Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont do it.
DONT BUY HUSTL.
The MS180 and 250 are Stihls cheapo saws and are readily available second hand for next to no money at all. Worn out ones are almost worthless. I got given a MS180 the just needs a rebuild.
Just find a second hand one, strip it down, rebuild it if it needs it, dress her up a bit, and run it.
Then you end uo wuth a QUALITY saw that works, not a piece of absolute rubbish from Hustl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I know I'm going to get flamed, but I would bet that a Poulan from Lowes is going to be a better quality saw unless you replace half of the Huztl parts with OEM.

I've been keeping an eye this thread and I believe my plans to put together a Huztl 180 just fell through. I'll buy an Echo CS-310 instead.

Dont do it.
DONT BUY HUSTL.
The MS180 and 250 are Stihls cheapo saws and are readily available second hand for next to no money at all. Worn out ones are almost worthless. I got given a MS180 the just needs a rebuild.
Just find a second hand one, strip it down, rebuild it if it needs it, dress her up a bit, and run it.
Then you end uo wuth a QUALITY saw that works, not a piece of absolute rubbish from Hustl

Any recommendations on aftermarket parts ? The farmer tech engine I received was ticking. looked like there were no bearings on the crank end. Saw is used for residential use. I like quality, but don't need to go overboard. After taking the original engine apart (ms 180) I need a new piston.... Thanks

I know I'm going to get flamed, but I would bet that a Poulan from Lowes is going to be a better quality saw unless you replace half of the Huztl parts with OEM.

I've been keeping an eye this thread and I believe my plans to put together a Huztl 180 just fell through. I'll buy an Echo CS-310 instead.
Building the saw is what it's all about and winding up with something you can use. Just buy a 360 or larger saw. The experience is valuable. But begging and waiting is not worth it, on the ms250 or below. The other saw kits ms360 or higher are full of quality parts.

Just because these small kits are trash does not diminish the others that have proven over time to be great. Building is awesome and makes you a lot smarter if you don't have experience

Any recommendations on aftermarket parts ? The farmer tech engine I received was ticking. looked like there were no bearings on the crank end. Saw is used for residential use. I like quality, but don't need to go overboard. After taking the original engine apart (ms 180) I need a new piston.... Thanks

The small chainsaw kits turned out to be crap. What they put in the kits, in those kits, they could not afford to sell you individually because you would return and demand your money back.

We got a 180 engine the guy swore would not start. Turns out it ran fine. You can lose focus when you lose confidence in the part. The guy the lost confidence and the saw would not start for him. The saw started for the next guy that laid his hands on it. That's an unfair comparison because the other guy is an expert with tons of experience but still it ran, no magic. He knew it should work.

Ticking, no bearings. Are you sure on the no bearing? I am putting a 192t together and the piston only has one circlips and the piston bearing is integrated in the crank. Have you looked at your flywheel and made sure it's tight and nothing is touching it when chasing the tick?

I spent a lot of time trying to get two circlips in that oem piston. A FarmerTec I bet uses two. So they are alike but different

I just tried to save one of the crappy flywheels they sent. I hope no one has tried to file and force it. I took my time and tried to file it by hand with a nice set of small files and there is more to it. The balance is very poor. It will wobble and vibrate. I bet it soon would tear the engine oil seal. It's millimeters away without the nut forcing it down. So I am going to have to shell out half the cost of the kit to get a flywheel they or their source don't make. I attached a photo you can see the scratches on the stub, I never even tightened it down. Looking down the barrel of the flywheel it's off center
b81802348e87976f8920728f92607fc1.jpg

I just tried to save one of the crappy flywheels they sent. I hope no one has tried to file and force it. I took my time and tried to file it by hand with a nice set of small files and there is more to it. The balance is very poor. It will wobble and vibrate. I bet it soon would tear the engine oil seal. It's millimeters away without the nut forcing it down. So I am going to have to shell out half the cost of the kit to get a flywheel they or their source don't make. I attached a photo you can see the scratches on the stub, I never even tightened it down. Looking down the barrel of the flywheel it's off center
b81802348e87976f8920728f92607fc1.jpg
Hustl quality lol

I've had my dad's real MS250CM apart several times, once pulling the engine apart (he lets fuel sit and runs old fuel). I've been seriously unimpressed with the design and workmanship on that thing. That big orange plastic part has stuff attaching from all sides (so much for design for manufacturabilty), and no one had even thought about removing molding flash from it. It cost him $410! Poulans are made nicer and more logically designed.

I've had a blast with my Zenoah clones and I use them regularly, but why would someone bother with a clone of something that's already so cheap?

I've had my dad's real MS250CM apart several times, once pulling the engine apart (he lets fuel sit and runs old fuel). I've been seriously unimpressed with the design and workmanship on that thing. That big orange plastic part has stuff attaching from all sides (so much for design for manufacturabilty), and no one had even thought about removing molding flash from it. It cost him $410! Poulans are made nicer and more logically designed.

I've had a blast with my Zenoah clones and I use them regularly, but why would someone bother with a clone of something that's already so cheap?
To me it's about building the saws. I guess I could buy a Stihl and tear it to pieces and rebuild it. That makes no sense. Building kits do. I just need good parts in them.

they want to play games and were not interested in making this right. i swear they are weird.

i looked it up and it shipped on 10/9/17. 37 days and counting. this week I finally got the clutch side zipped. i found that the e clip was missing too, but i had some. clutch and sprocket looked good.

still talking and negotiating to get the flywheel side continues. hope they answer my email tonight and give me idea on what is going to happen.

i ordered the exhaust plate and flange for testing the saw. should be in this week. want to be ready should this complete.

IMG_20171114_221808.jpg

I actually have something great to report. here's why its great.

problem besides the flywheel was the futile nature of complaining. they would send you another bad flywheel and then balk at sending you another, often asking for it to ride with something else you needed to buy. you knew it was going to happen again. i knew they just did not get what was happening in their organization.

so after i determined the problem i began to get nasty but nice. complaining, complaining, but being direct and focused showing them each step where the problem was. they just did not catch on. i was being direct. i wrote to them, i wrote here, i even used video here. still not getting it.

i am leaving out a lot but this morning was the water shed moment. so yesterday they said yes we can replace flywheel and the brake bank with a pin. then i heard that in fact they could not ship the brake band because they did not have one with a pin. that's the moment right there. the left hand found the right hand. they caught a mistake by talking to one another before the item shipped. before they would have shipped the wrong brake band again.

i don't know how they did it internally, but someone took ownership of that problem and walked it through. so i wrote them and pointed that out how great that was. it was the first time in all my dealings with them where they were on top of it. this is great, really great for all of us. if they did it once they can do it every time. it was not an accident. they wrote and told me there was a problem with the part. i knew that ;-) but most important they needed too. so as they work on their process we will get what we order the first time or get notice of the problem and their plan for correcting it before it happens again. cool

I thought the MS250 kit was pretty easy to build....It ran good after I used a original walbro carb....Clutch was way off...would not engage until 7000rpm. I replaced it with oem clutch from parts pile and all was well. I have 180 coming in mail. The 440 and 660 kits are much better. Only decompression valve and one chain tensioner so far on 6 builds.

Back