Favorite chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro Mac 10-10s, 40 years old and will cut with any modern saw.
Will out cut the 346 with a 24" bar and full comp. , hell run a 20" with .404 and spank your local hooskies and stihls with out effort, 16" with 9 pin and .325 becomes a light saber for defeating the imperial empire.
Manual oiler plus automatic, no burnt bars.( personally responsible for polluting the earth, apparently)
Has actual torque! so you can cut out of a pinch instead of hanging there like a limp saw.
Drop it out of a tree, fall off your truck, cut in 100° weather or -20° , and don't sweat it because it's not plastic.
No anti vibe ,or chicken arms required.
57ccs of American muscle.
Disclaimer:don't put it in your Prius ( it will explode and kill your "car")

Probably be the only one who raises the Dolmar PS-6100, but I love it in the oak I cut 90% of the time. Here it is ripping through a Red Oak log that came down in the recent Tropical storm:

Mine is stock, it is not likely winning races, but it is rock solid, easy starting, smooth running.

Well as ya might guess Husqvarna 257 is my all time choice but my new Husqvarna 562 XP is now my go to saw. The 562 sips fuel and has more power than my 25 + year old 257. I still use my old saw for ground cutting and a back up. I still have plenty of 20" chains for the 257 as well.

Well as ya might guess Husqvarna 257 is my all time choice but my new Husqvarna 562 XP is now my go to saw. The 562 sips fuel and has more power than my 25 + year old 257. I still use my old saw for ground cutting and a back up. I still have plenty of 20" chains for the 257 as well.
I’m a Stihl guy but I‘d love to own a 562XP , I’ve got about 30min on one and it was a great saw.
Problem with threads like this Is half the people that comment don’t even read the question in the first post.

just so previous poster dosen't feel jilted, my most used saws are a pair of Dolmar 79xx, I have pair of the 64xx units as well but one wears blue and gray. I plain woreout a Dolmar 116SI a number of years ago.

If you want to try another brand I'd give Dolmar a whirl. Husky's are of course nice, but I think Dolmar gives you more bang for your buck. I cant speak to Echo, though Ive heard good things on them as well.

In 2003 I paid around $850 for my Stihl 460 w/ 20" b&c
In 2009, despite being 6 years later, I paid $650 for a 7900 w/ 20" b&c

I think since the full Makita takeover, they are now more well known and prices have gone up. I still think they are considerably cheaper than Stihl or Husky.

The 7900 is slightly lighter, but is also more powerful and smoother. I tend to grab the 7900 the most out of my 4 saws (two Stihls, two Dolmars). I feel the Dolmars and Huskys also start easier than any of the Stihl's I've run, which include 250, 361, 460, and a 660.

Adding in the Makita dealer net work makes the "Dolitas" a much more viable unit now. In the past Dolmar dealers were far and few between. Sometimes the units dressed blue/gray are a bit less than the Orange ones, but once inside they are the same. The Dolita corded electric (14' or 16") saw is all metal driver gears inside- I do know of any other make that is. Comes in handy for me at 0 dark 30 in the morning or late at night- neighbor friendly. Do not have any of the battery units so I can't say anything about those. I have had one failure on my 7900 (15 years old ) the base gasket blew out- replacement is upgraded. That was sneaky to find - unit ran fine but could not turn off when it was hot.

I too am mostly a Stihl guy but do have Makita 64XX that is ten years old and has been a great saw and have a Echo 360 top handle that has been a good saw also. That been said I did just buy a Stihl 50 CC 261 as I thought it was the best saw for my needs in a 50 CC saw so far so good.

#1 "go to" saw is my Echo CS340. Push the primer bulb a few times, pull choke out, give it 2 pulls, push choke in, depress throttle and it will start on the next pull, no matter if it has been sitting a year. Next most favorite is my Dolmar 7900. I have a Dolmar 5100, but I STILL haven't figured out it's starting sequence - it usually takes 20 or more pulls to get it fired up and I'm not liking that. I had an vibration isolator break on it, so I'm taking it to the shop to have them replace them all AND figure out why it is so hard to start.

Recently tried an echo 590 at work. Made me want to get one.
What is it that makes you want a 590? At a local dealer, there's a 590 22or24" that is a "customer return" that's been "fixed." (Assuming the customer didn't know how to adjust carb) I can get it for 300 bones. What holds me back is the lack of (as far as I can tell) of AM parts.

What is it that makes you want a 590? At a local dealer, there's a 590 22or24" that is a "customer return" that's been "fixed." (Assuming the customer didn't know how to adjust carb) I can get it for 300 bones. What holds me back is the lack of (as far as I can tell) of AM parts.
What AM parts are you looking for?

What AM parts are you looking for?
Not knowing EXACTLY what WAS wrong with it, I like the ability to other whatever it might need without using a dealer if need be. The saw is at a big box store, so they really don't know what the problem was. Plus an actual dealer is 60+ mikes away.

Latest posts

Back