Finding the best manual pole saw to maintain spruce, oak, maple, locust,...yard trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1homeowner

Reaction score
Hello, After much searching and researching I've kind of narrowed it down to the Jameson for price, quality, and availability.? If I was certain, though, this question wouldn't be posted. I don't really have any proper and effective high reach pruning tools now and would like to get one. Looking for recommendations on brand, blades, poles, etc. I've got to keep it manageable (is 18' long enough) as I don't plan on climbing, laddering, and getting killed. What are the essentials for trying to tackle this job myself. One specific question: On the Jameson brand, one pruning set of interest has a 16" teflon blade, non-tri-cut I assume, and one has a 13" tri-cut blade. Is one really better than the other and can either be sharpened easily. Thanks for the help. I'm all ears.

I have a Marvin, and they are on sale now from Bailey's, one of our sponsors, for $129 for a set, pole clip, saw and 2 handles, extra handles can be added. I tend to stay with the shorter blades now. We used to use longer blades but if it binds when you are pushing up they will buckle and bend. The shorter ones have a bit less tendency to do that, Joe.

I have never used anything but Jameson poles, the others work well I am sure, but Jameson work great, except when ya start adding more than 3 together, then its like a kinda stiff rubber band, very hard to use. I have 8ft,6ft and 4ft, with the different sizes ya can set up just the right length. I would like to try that silky deal that extends, but I cant justify buying it when I need other stuff more. I also have several different head attachments. I use the Corona pruner head, the black expensive one. Works awesome. Then I have several saw heads with different types of blades and different sizes. I also have the hooks, some modded for specific task's.

Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I need. Not really being able to lay hands and eyes on competing brands, I can't tell which components may be compatible. A statement like this...Many parts appear interchangeable however only Corona parts will fit Corona tools. If your tool does not say Corona the part is likely not to work for you......directly from the Corona site makes me hesitant to order a saw head, for example, and expect it to fit the Jameson poles. I guess the sizes are not universal.?

Good questions but I remain confused. Do Marvin, Jameson, and Corona actually interchange or are minor alterations necessary?

The corona pruning head will mount on Jamesons, but u have to buy the little sleeve to mount it. Like 10 bucks. Buy it where they sell Jamesons. Drill a hole, bolt it on and you in bidnazz

I don't know Jeff i've never used a Hayauchi to compare i've only used the Zübat pole saw,but from what i've heard they are real similar but the Stihl is a little heavier and is only 18ft. As far as the saw goes its just as razor sharp as my Silky handsaws.

I like the Stihl pole its taken some abuse and holds up well and when its fully extended its not like a rubberband.

Haven't check price yet but Jameson also makes foam core poles as well. Would it make that much difference in pruning ease and performance?

Gotta say the silky hayuchi is the best pole pruner I've ever used, hands down. Not cheap, but well worth it. The oval design really makes it rigid and easy to orient the blade.

+ 1, you can now get a good quality after market lopper head to fit it now, but i would not extend the top section when using it.

I started with a Wolf Garten that I found at a liquidation store, and a couple of years later went to a Silky when I needed greater pruning height. The Silky was expensive. Have you determined yet how high you need to prune?

Latest posts

Back