Finished my new alaskan 60" with the old Mac 895! Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the oiler.

A few suggestions.
I didn't do all these things at once but over a few years.
Add a sight tube. This allows you to se how much oil is in the tank and helps prevent overflow when filling
Aux_oil1.jpg
I found that a needle valve provides better control than a tap because it much easier to fine tune the flow - the needle valve then stays in the same position all the time and the tap is just the ON-OFF control
This can also be achieved with two taps - one is the ON-OFF and other one controls flow.

The other way to do control flow is to add a repeatable tap position.
I replaced the tap handle with a slightly longer strung lever attached to a bicycle "click" gear change lever and cable mounted on the mill frame.
The location of the gear change level is within the mill operators reach so the flow can be easily adjusted during the cut (including turning it on/off) while running the mill.

lever.jpg

Make sure the tap handle holding nut is Loctited on, I lost mine several times. The last time I couldn't find it and had to make new handle.

Maybe its the sun here in Australia but I found that bar or canola oil makes clear PVC harden so that it is less flexible and it eventually leaks at the junctions so adding a small hose clamp helps. I've tried a few different hoses. I've used flexible SS braid covered hoses used to connect water outlets to taps, but found the inner liner of the cheaper ones swelled over about a 2 year period and almost a full tank of oil leaked out all over the back of my van. Hydraulic hose would be ideal as that is specifically designed to handle oil.

Love the oiler.

A few suggestions.
I didn't do all these things at once but over a few years.
Add a sight tube. This allows you to se how much oil is in the tank and helps prevent overflow when filling
View attachment 633548
I found that a needle valve provides better control than a tap because it much easier to fine tune the flow - the needle valve then stays in the same position all the time and the tap is just the ON-OFF control
This can also be achieved with two taps - one is the ON-OFF and other one controls flow.

The other way to do control flow is to add a repeatable tap position.
I replaced the tap handle with a slightly longer strung lever attached to a bicycle "click" gear change lever and cable mounted on the mill frame.
The location of the gear change level is within the mill operators reach so the flow can be easily adjusted during the cut (including turning it on/off) while running the mill.

View attachment 633550

Make sure the tap handle holding nut is Loctited on, I lost mine several times. The last time I couldn't find it and had to make new handle.

Maybe its the sun here in Australia but I found that bar or canola oil makes clear PVC harden so that it is less flexible and it eventually leaks at the junctions so adding a small hose clamp helps. I've tried a few different hoses. I've used flexible SS braid covered hoses used to connect water outlets to taps, but found the inner liner of the cheaper ones swelled over about a 2 year period and almost a full tank of oil leaked out all over the back of my van. Hydraulic hose would be ideal as that is specifically designed to handle oil.
Sweet! Yes I have a second valve on the way should be here in the mail anytime. $12.00 for one little valve locally or $3.00 shipped on eBay. But I am liking your remote adjust with the bike shifter. I already have the bicycle parts so would not take me long to rig that up. My old mill has transmission cooling hose on it. Holds up to oil no problem but it's 3/8" so bigger and heavier. I was shooting for a lighter setup so tried this clear pc. But you have me an idea. I have a bust front braided brake line off my dirtbike that might work well.

Back