Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoke color? I get black grey white, but have no idea what they mean on a forest fire. House fires, black is generally plastics or other chemicals Grey sort of mostly wood, white generally its burning out or is getting water on it.

I've only been near a few Forest fires, and don't remember or didn't pay enough attention to the details, as well ders a whole lotta **** going down at once.

Here's a very, very general guideline. Local fuels knowledge is key here. EX: here in the south Puget Sound region, all smoke colors are possible when Scot's broom is the primary fuel, but taller broom usually results in darker smoke as the leaves burn without consuming the stems. Smaller plants most often burn more completely than larger ones, resulting in lighter smoke. Other fuels can be expected to behave differently, and local experts will be clued in to these changes in behavior.

Brown smoke: incomplete combustion, fire is moving fast and not burning everything. Lots of reflash potential, mopup problems are expected.

White smoke: lots of water, mostly steam, fire is taking a lot of energy in boiling water to make fuel available. Reflash potential is reduced, but expect more complete combustion resulting in more damage.

Light grey smoke: more complete combustion, burning hot and slow, expect less surface mopup problems but more subsurface ones. This is where you see root damage and trees burning out and falling over most often.

Black smoke: very incomplete combustion, tires or plastics as notes above. Usually doesn't last very long.

Watch the smoke column and note its changes. "Puffing" often signals a change in fuel type or condition and a change in color or density of smoke will follow. Watch the top of the column and see whether it's flat or round -- round indicates unstable air and higher fire activity. Flat indicates the opposite. There's plenty more, I'm sure I'm forgetting or messing up lots.

Watch for the puffy white cloud on top of the column. Indicates unstable atmosphere and high fire intensity. Pay attention to local weather conditions like when winds switch from up canyon to down canyon and what terrain features may come into alignment. Use of local knowledge can play big many times.

Mission fire near north fork.
20170903_165925.jpg 20170903_161633.jpg

7880c0c83c8646d7b1cb556c2bf48e61.jpg

Rim Fire Yosemite and Stanislaus NF. 60,000+ acre burn period
23747a8a652e0b36b032901cd039e960.jpg

Sequoia NF during a 10,000 acre Crown Run, that plane was at about 17,000 alt
e31e990720eff3dabcbe77c89c80a094.jpg

Soberanes Fire, central coast 0700 above the inversion

Erik

First few days of the rough fire.

The middle PyroC is taken from the ridge above McKensie Helispot below Delilah L/O
The whole bowl due east burned that day. DP 20-21 if you were there
Two weeks were East of Buck Rock on the Far Eastern Flank spiked near Big Meadows [emoji106][emoji4]

Erik

The middle PyroC is taken from the ridge above McKensie Helispot below Delilah L/O
The whole bowl due east burned that day. DP 20-21 if you were there
Two weeks were East of Buck Rock on the Far Eastern Flank spiked near Big Meadows [emoji106][emoji4]

Erik

My cousin was stuck in a safety zone for a little bit with his pg&e crew during that big run.

Virga is a strange phenomenon. I've seen it from afar many times but I've never been under it. At least I don't think I have.

The job I'm on right now is on the lee side of a ridge. Today the wind was howling so hard we thought we may have to stop work. It was cold all day, windy and humid and cold.

Picture of the 2001 musick fire and 1994 big creek fire burn area.
trigger.jpg

Quite a few.
SQF, KNF, Shasta-T, Southern Mendo Coast , Yolla Bolla,

Modoc NF Area about 6-8
Blue Mtn Area
c7a904121ac3e2f838db3ee4f7bb3d08.jpg

Mt Tamalpais
a45c84c76060106191c2a0f762c3667d.jpg

They also have 360’ fire detection cams on Tam, Barnabe, Big Rock and Pt. Reyes

Erik

Sierra national forest has fence meadow, mt tom, shuteye peak, and few others.

Hey guys. This is an article on an engine that suffered a fire while parked on the apparatus room floor at night. It could have been much worse. My Dodge had almost the same problem when I plugged in a small inverter I bought at Costco. It was plugged into the power point. It damaged the socket and damaged the alternator before it blew a fuse. I now have a Garmin that I have been leaving plugged in all the time, but not anymore. It is something to bring up in discussion.

https://www.wildfirelessons.net/orp...umentKey=eb47db25-30ce-4598-b3df-22908be12ad3

Bill

To many variables pointing to bad things will happen to justify having your piece on while fighting a fire... It's bad enough when someone is shooting at you while on the line.

Back