Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have definitely seen what Ted is talking about while doing project work with cdrc/calfire crews. What I've seen is an arrogance problem with the younger generation in calfire. I've worked with calfire/cdrc inmate crews every year since 2005 mostly working with crews from miramonte camp and the more experienced captains are always more approachable and give their crews good instructions on what I need done, the younger captains I've worked with I find sitting at the buggy, on their phones, texting, or playing games waiting for a tone out to a fire while the crew is on the other side of the hill out of site. When you ask them to have the crew do something or tell them what needs to be done they get kind of a pissed off attitude like you are inconveniencing them.....at that point i end up running the crews which takes me away from my job.
We had an escaped prescribed burn in December called the ponderosa near cascadel woods, a number of residents reported it to the fire station in the area which had a good view of the fire, the response was its a prescribed burn(in 45mph wind?) and that not our jurisdiction. These residents had recently dealt with the mission fire. To me thats just being an *******.

When you say you worked with calfire inmate crews, that implies you worked on a fire.

Fellas. Inmate crews in Ca, part of the CDCR , Do off season project work. Anywhere from brush clearing, trail work, sand bagging, ect.
It doesn’t mean they’re using fire
In Slashers example ( I would say they were doing clearing ( boring) and said Cpt’s were hanging in their rigs, doing whatever, waiting for the “Big” fire call.
So he being a Park employee and they working in his park, he had to show them what to do, instead of their Cpt’s supervising them.
That,s my interpretation/speculation of said events and not taking any sides

And did I mention “This years going to be the worst fire season ever...

Erik

At the Fed level, Parks is a wildfire agency. At least in WA, Parks is not a wildfire agency. I know some CA Parks folks. They are not fire people. "Project Work" that involves fire is not the jurisdiction of non-fire people. We work hard to achieve and maintain our qualifications. It is not the policy of any NWCG partner agencies to allow non-fire qualified personnel to lead fire crews. This is consistent throughout the US and is basic ICS. I would very much like to hear an explanation of these discrepancies.

We use inmate crews for conservation and labor projects. Being with the lead agency on the project I am responsible for giving the captain and crew their directives for the project. I can direct the crew if i need more attention focused on a specific area or if I need them to head back to the buggy because we're going to a different area. I shouldn't have to go find the captain to tell them they should be there with the crew. For most projects I only need to give them their directives and they follow me to the work site then i just check in on their progress. The only reason i should have to stay there is to give some training like how to string a weedeater or how to install irrigation systems.

Fellas. Inmate crews in Ca, part of the CDCR , Do off season project work. Anywhere from brush clearing, trail work, sand bagging, ect.
It doesn’t mean they’re using fire
In Slashers example ( I would say they were doing clearing ( boring) and said Cpt’s were hanging in their rigs, doing whatever, waiting for the “Big” fire call.
So he being a Park employee and they working in his park, he had to show them what to do, instead of their Cpt’s supervising them.
That,s my interpretation/speculation of said events and not taking any sides

And did I mention “This years going to be the worst fire season ever...

Erik

That is exactly what I was trying to say, I thank you sir.

Next:

Red or Green
Smoke or Hotel
Cal fire crew or Shotcrew
Caterer or MKU
Pavement Queen or Type 3
Smoothbore or Fog
Honda or Mark III
H2O or CAFFS
Husky or Stihl
Single layer or Double
Managed or Extinguished
Whites or Nicks
Loggers or Hikers

Stay safe out there this and every day, week, month and year !!

Erik

Type 6! Avoid water if possible, but if not, Forester nozzle! BB-4! Brand-agnostic! Single layer! Managed! Nicks! 8"-10"! Don't care about the rest! Give me a crew and a problem, and we'll figure it out!

Husky or Stihl ?? It is a Saw site after all

Erik

My uniform is Blue, my turn-outs are black, my WL pants are tan, green & blue, my shirt is (was)yellow. I use Nicks, Whites and Sportivas.
I did 10 weeks OOC and only stayed in a hotel 3 nights last year
I get paid P to P, so stay I avail 24/7.
I carry Narcotics, I have both Huskys and Stihls ( this is a chainsaw site :))) and drink Peet’s Major D, fresh grind in a jet boil.
Here’s to 2018,

c8c1146ad627f03497f62c7d5493bebd.jpg

Erik

OK I guess I do have to confess that my shop at work is 100% Stihl. I didn't choose that! I simply inherited the shop and inventory, so I've maintained it for 10 years now. In my "not at work" collection I have a mess of brands represented, and none is a favorite. I stuck with Stihl at work simply because it was cheaper than starting over.

Tan pants! Yellow shirt! Red Helmet! (this is how we distinguish leadership visually in my organization).

I should take and post a pic or two of my shop at work. It's getting (after many years) to where it's pretty good. Naturally, the higher-ups want to move us to somewhere else on base, so who knows what will change.

Next:

Red or Green
Smoke or Hotel
Cal fire crew or Shotcrew
Caterer or MKU
Pavement Queen or Type 3
Smoothbore or Fog
Honda or Mark III
H2O or CAFFS
Husky or Stihl
Single layer or Double
Managed or Extinguished
Whites or Nicks
Loggers or Hikers

Stay safe out there this and every day, week, month and year !!

Erik

Couple good ol wlfHotlist forum arguments on that list. LOL.

just a dumb logger... so grain of salt and stuff

Red or Green, partial to green

Smoke or Hotel, Hotel you folks can eat all the smoke you want, I'll be on vacation.

Cal fire crew or Shotcrew, Solo

Caterer or MKU, Caterer all the way

Pavement Queen or Type 3, Type 3

Smoothbore or Fog, forestry nozzle for sure

Honda or Mark III, Honda, if its gotta run gas its gotta be honda

H2O or CAFFS, I prefer to stay hydrated

Husky or Stihl, Husky fans are illiterate...

Single layer or Double, double because there is a knee pad you can stuff in em! (oh wait you meant fire hose... single cause its cheap!)

Managed or Extinguished, Managed

Whites or Nicks, Nick's for the win

Loggers or Hikers, Caulks with logger heels

Back