ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Firewood for camping?

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by RAS323, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack Tree Freak

hmm, maybe I am on the wrong thread... :rolleyes:

olyman and Ryan'smilling like this.
  2. Backyard Lumberjack

sounds like it works well for him!

3. Backyard Lumberjack

another success story! :)

4. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Perhaps you're not familiar with gunny's posts. The man has a modus operandi, so to speak...

olyman likes this.
  5. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

yeah!!!hes fos……….

6. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

If you plan on doing more than a few hundred bundles a year I'd look into a wrapping machine.

With my setup, I can average about 35 bundles an hour. That's making the bundles, carting them to the front of the shop and stacking them (can see the stacks in my avatard, I can get about 1200-1300 bundles between the 2 sides)

7. motolife313

motolife313 ArboristSite Guru

Maple is a good one. Smells great and you can cook food over it. I sell it myself. Alder and maple cost less then other species of wood I got

8. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

11 year old thread, things changed a bit. Most Parks have a supplier and want certified wood. Most stores and gas stations near a park have a supplier already. Not like the first guy to come up with the idea now. Bundled wood is much more profitable, but it takes a little more work to move it than it did 10 years ago.

Multifaceted likes this.
  9. Multifaceted

Multifaceted Firewood Hoarder, Axe Junkie

What's everyone's thought on moving wood? Personally, I try to keep my wood within a 10 mile radius so not to spread invasive insects, fungus or mold. Having to deal with the aftermath of oak blight and the EAB on my small little woodlot and the damage they have caused, I really can understand the larger effects on the ecology if not properly managed.

10. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I used to bring home a cord of Oak every time I went to my farm in WV. It's about 2 1/2 hour drive. I used to split and load the wood for something to do after I got my deer. Now I don't even take the trailer. I think in the last 10 years they have found 3 cases of chronic wasting disease in my county, so now I have to butcher the deer before I can take it back to MD. At home, all 3 farms I can cut wood on are within 10 miles, and all of my customers are right around town, so no big deal with transporting wood for me.

Multifaceted likes this.
  11. woodshax

woodshax ArboristSite Member

We have a 50 miles from firewood birth to death by fire for our parks and The Texas State Park system is about to institute that as a limit....or heat treated.....so building a kiln now.... for firewood you don't need a fancy expensive kiln they use for drying lumber.... you are just trying to get it to 160 F for 60 minutes and keeping the humidity below 20 % so it is still "seasoned" then you can transport and sell it anywhere. Parks have suppliers but we usually push past them because we can sell 24/7 with no theft and the park staff do not have to lift a finger