• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Firewood Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray92

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used but ready to go chainsaw for taking down small trees (up to 10" maybe), and cut the trunks down to manageable lengths for splitting. Nothing fancy or high end required, just a good chainsaw with a medium length bar. This would be my first, so I can't really say provide much more detail than that. Shipping would to be 35898, Alabama.

Welcome to AS Ray.
Sure someone will be along to sell you one of their great firewood saws since almost everyone here is a saw snob(nothing but pro saws), oh that already happened lol.
The advice to check out the echos is pretty good as they are know for reliability and ease of starting, and it's hard to ague with a 5yr warranty.
If you have any skills with working on this type of equipment you could rake a look at craigslist, lots of bargans, just need to know what your looking for.
Good luck in the search if caleb didn't already set you up:).

Yep, hard to argue with a 5 year consumer warranty... although Husqvarna was offering a 4 year so long as you bought a couple cans of their pre-mixed fuel along with it. To be honest, for basic small tree cutting once in a while... nothing wrong with a Poulan Pro to get you started at a very entry level price point.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm looking for something mid-sized, I guess, around a 16" bar. I've been avoiding the Walmart specials like the Poulans because I've read a lot of reviews about them failing soon after purchase. I'd rather pay a little extra up front for something that keeps working vs. having a $90 paperweight after a few uses.

Keep in mind that the majority of those early failures are probably due to user error, and it's maybe a bit more difficult but still entirely possible to bork a professional saw in short order if you seriously misstep.

Keep in mind that the majority of those early failures are probably due to user error, and it's maybe a bit more difficult but still entirely possible to bork a professional saw in short order if you seriously misstep.
I would agree partially with this statement, because the type of person who would typically buy one of these saws is a newbie, but more times than not I buy used pro grade equipment. I don't usually do bad, in reality I do very well.
You can go buy a nice pro grade saw for twice as much, or even three times as much as the cheapys use it for a time and flip it when you are done or figure out what will meet your needs better and get all your cash back if you do it right. If you do poorly you may loose a little, and if you donvery well you make a couple bucks or trade up to what you want without adding cash.
I would advise doing some searches on here or on the net to see what real users are saying, not just what it says on the dealers site reviews.
One of the easiest ways is to simply search brand model forum.
Examples Echo cs5000 forum
Stihl ms250 forum
You get the point.
If other don't like my examples, feel free to ad others as they are only examples and not endorsements for any brand:).

An Echo Timberwolf would be a great 1 Saw plan for the money. Or maybe a nice husqvarna 262 or Stihl 361. I'd say you can't be the warranty on the Echo.

Might want to hit bill g up for that 028 he has listed. Be plenty of saw for what you need and a great tried and true older saw. He's good to deal with and probably be in the price range.

I don't think a small engine is going to be a concern for me, there's not a whole lot of trees left to cut down behind my house, especially not anything small enough that I'd try it myself. But, it would be nice to be able to cut the trunks up into small chunks myself rather than paying someone or waiting to borrow a friend's chainsaw.

The 028 is a great little firewood saw. Will pull a 16" or 18" bar with no problem. Just a suggestion.

An Echo Timberwolf would be a great 1 Saw plan for the money. Or maybe a nice husqvarna 262 or Stihl 361. I'd say you can't be the warranty on the Echo.
How does the warranty on the Echos work, do I have to buy it from a dealer? I've seen some NIB echos for $75 less than what Home Depot or the local dealer carries them for. Would I still get warranty coverage if I bought a NIB Echo from eBay?

I would suspect you would have to buy from a dealer but you may just go to your dealer and ask if they would honor warranty on a saw bought elsewhere but I doubt they would.

How does the warranty on the Echos work, do I have to buy it from a dealer? I've seen some NIB echos for $75 less than what Home Depot or the local dealer carries them for. Would I still get warranty coverage if I bought a NIB Echo from eBay?
Go to a dealer and get a 590 and run canned fuel and bar oil. They should tune it and set it up for you and even though the fuel is a little more any issue you have for 5 years should be covered... Also if you want to buck and noodle in half stumps or what not you are going to want a little more power then a smaller option can offer. I always grab a saw bigger then what I know I need because more often then I end up using it and enjoying the power and sawing...

Latest posts

Back