firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed that joke Kubota called a tool box, many call a pencil box and installed this one.

Enough gab with the seat full back between the box.

Latches are close with the ROPS folded but still clears and if I planed on having the ROPS folded a lot I would install a bit of cable on the latches to pull on.

I install a pair of hooks, handy places to hang 3pt. pins when changeing equipment before the quick hitch. Also hang the 3pt. draw bar there temporary.

I put two 15 foot 3/8 log chains in there, 4 splitting wedges, scrench, other wrenches I might need to make a repair, Extra pair of leather gloves and some nylon ones with thinsulate Pair of channel locks and two pair of medium sized vice grips.

I did Have to remove the SMV sign and place it else where.

Carry the Echo CS 400 on the left side of the FLM, the Polan 2150 on the right side of the FLM both my limbing saws.

354a405.jpg

The J red 2159 slides into the ROPS mount I made on the left side and one of the Huskys slides in the (not shown) right side mount.

yRV7Viz.jpg

Going to make some plugs for the FLM to hold the logging chains in come summer. Those big holes are begging to hold/store some thing.

:D Al

Thank you for the nice comments about my tractor. It is a privilege to use such a nice tool and it functions as a system with the various implements that I use.

Recently I removed 2 trees that blew down in a natural forest park area on a steep hillside for a customer. I don’t do logging or timber cutting, I do specialty recreational land management. The tractor and skidding winch, along with a little help from me made it look easy. The customer was tremendously impressed.

There is not enough functional space without interfering with something on the front end loader or behind the seat to mount a tool box. I think the only option is to mount a tool box on each fender.

Best wishes.

So, I cut 5 of these out of those Aspen,

standard.jpg

and loaded two of them on the BSM and started milling "flitches",

standard.jpg

Once I had them all milled into flitches, I turned the flitches on edge, and got started milling out the stickers,

standard.jpg

And I ended up with over 200 of them,

standard.jpg

Not too bad, making something "useful" out of something folks keep saying is "junk wood"!

SR

We use our Poplar & pine slabs for that exact thing.

I bought a metal decetor recently to mess with. Lost a grab hook off a chain back in the woods a couple years ago and serched for it some. found a screw the about the size of the recal screws in my Jred. A bit to big however, but did find it and it is a allen wwrench type.

So ask a friend whit a metal detector.

:D Al

Hi Al, I do have a metal detector, but the trailer bed is also metal and I'd rather go buy two screws than move all that sawdust and check it. lol I generally drive out to a town during the week anyway, so add getting those screws to the list...

I have some pine to skid out tomorrow, we'll see how that goes!

SR

Magnet on a stick!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perform...BEgJnffD_BwE&dclid=CNrPq8TT5dkCFVcRgQodFvoIYQ

When my father built our chicken houses, it was my job to go behind the crews with a big magnet & pick up all loose nails. Being a 7 year old, it was a solid job.

B1D87007-C22B-433C-AECD-9D28A43D21BA.jpeg This is my other firewood tractor, and everything else tractor, the day it was delivered. That was an exciting day for sure! Here it is naked - without a loader. New Holland Workmaster 70 Turbocharged . 4wd. Synchronized shuttle shift transmission. Rear tires loaded with beet juice. Hydraulic remotes front and rear. Full digital instrumentation. LED area and work lights. It even has a horn!
Best wishes

Al, I like your idea. It just won’t work for me because of the angle of the safety cage on my skidding winch. I tried using the upper and lower holes for the 3 point arms, and the upper and lower mount on the tractor bracket for the top link and while all of those do change the geometry, the cage still comes in too closely for your idea to work. Thank you for the idea.

So, I think the tool boxes on the fenders will work and they will double as arm rests. Now looking for a pair of diamond plate aluminum boxes that will fit and be a bit oversize.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and for liking my tractors. Getting those two tractors was a HUGE life changing event for me. My previous two tractors were O L D and W O R N O U T! They looked so sad and just pathetically worn out. I could not in good conscience sell them to a private person. I traded them both in on the big tractor and told the dealer everything I could possibly think of that has ever gone wrong. Actually, they were really very trouble free, just worn out and old. It is amazing how long a tractor will last if you take good care of it, treat it right, let it warm up, and it is a Ford or New Holland! (just had to throw that in for fun!)

Best wishes to all!

View attachment 639393 This is my other firewood tractor, and everything else tractor, the day it was delivered. That was an exciting day for sure! Here it is naked - without a loader. New Holland Workmaster 70 Turbocharged . 4wd. Synchronized shuttle shift transmission. Rear tires loaded with beet juice. Hydraulic remotes front and rear. Full digital instrumentation. LED area and work lights. It even has a horn!
Best wishes

Very nice tractor.

Thanks. It is a real pleasure to use because it has so much power for its size and weight. That same size and weight tractor is available in 50, 60, and 70 horsepower. The tractor it replaced was underpowered 30 years ago. Now it was just plain worn out. I took good care of it but it gave its all. I have been saving up for a very long time for that tractor. Best wishes.

Pulling twin cherry tops:
IMG_2948.JPG

Today was my first little workout with my homemade hydraulic winch set up. Right now I would give it 3 1/2 stars out of five. Pluses - Quiet. Strong. More good than bad - two speed gear box is handy, but still pretty slow. More bad than good - holds plenty of cable but nests too easily. Negatives - Controls are too far from winch for one man re-spooling. When it nests it is almost impossible to pull the cable out even with the tractor.

Like most, the winch will pull more than the tractor. In addition to pulling butts too heavy for the tractor, it came in handy today winching a 4wd Duramax with a fully loaded trailer up a hill. Tractor wouldn't budge it but the winch pulled it uphill eighty feet or so to flatter ground. Also came in handy for self recovery when a filled ravine collapsed on the downhill side. It allowed me to get off the tractor and winch it out without further putting myself at risk of a rollover.

Near disaster with the tool bar component - unbeknown to me, one of my forks had bounced out of its storage bracket and was leaning against the back of the tractor screen guard. When I raised the tool bar it almost took out the screen's lower brace and the metal hydraulic lines for the 3rd SCV.

More work to do: Design and build a small removable plow/blade. Solve or lessen the cable nesting. Come up with something to hold the forks securely in their storage position.

Ron

Most of you folks are operating at a whole different level than me and my pup. Today I took advantage of the sunshine and snow (staying out of the mud) to move about 2 dozen rounds too big for me to pick up, just about 50' to a handier place for me to split them and stack them. This video is just the first couple. Boring is watching me do it over and over again.

The little grapple hooks to the QuickHitch for front attachments, like the snow plow that I removed this morning (fingers crossed) and hooked up the grapple.

Most of you folks are operating at a whole different level than me and my pup. Today I took advantage of the sunshine and snow (staying out of the mud) to move about 2 dozen rounds too big for me to pick up, just about 50' to a handier place for me to split them and stack them. This video is just the first couple. Boring is watching me do it over and over again.

The little grapple hooks to the QuickHitch for front attachments, like the snow plow that I removed this morning (fingers crossed) and hooked up the grapple.

That's a nice little set up.

Well guys, I finally read thru this entire post. Everyone on here has some great tools and even better skills. I am very impressed.

There is never a tractor or a saw with too much horsepower, too much seasoned dry firewood, or a woman that is too good looking.

Sawyer Rob - that splitter is too shiny and new to scratch up splitting wood.

Ron - great creativity. You are almost there. Watch out for the dangerous bugs along the way.

Dancan - a smooth operation with the self releasing snatch block. I would like to get one until I look at the price.

Jere39 - you make that look easy. Maybe you are smart for not letting things get too big. The pup must be the boss?

Best wishes to all.

Back