firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al, it's pretty light duty, so I just don't want to make it hold any more than it already does!!

I have a ten ton under my wagon body, and I can load that one any way that I want,

standard.jpg

SR

Sunny 70 today, what a nice day to split some wood, so I drove the splitter over to my trailer load of big rounds and got set up,

standard.jpg

This load is all bigger rounds,

standard.jpg

but that's no big deal for this splitter and it was pretty nice out there pushing them through the 4-way wedge...

SR

I guess everyone but me, sold their tractors!! lol

Anyway, today, I decided to clean out more of the area I split wood in, here's todays project,

standard.jpg

You can see there is a half blown over (still alive) tree in there, it's a Norway Spruce, actually there two in there. SO, I hooked my winch line on, and cut limbs, pulled a little and cut more limbs,

standard.jpg

Until I got it out, then using the pallet forks and grapple, I picked up all the limbs and the second tree,

standard.jpg

and moved it all to a brush pile. Next I pushed one fork of my pallet forks, under the stump and ripped it out,

standard.jpg

and moved it to the brush pile too. For what ever was left, the Woods Brush Bull took care of that!

standard.jpg

Including the stump from the smaller tree,

standard.jpg

So, I have at least one small log for the BSM, and as I needed a few 2x4's to finish a firewood box, it took care of two problems at once!

standard.jpg

SR

Nope I drove every one of them with a post driver Level to make sure they were plumb, and a chunk of PCV i cout to make shre they were all the same depth.
Most all were driven between christmas and New Years.

YA i heard of people useing the down presure of the loader and weight of the tractor.

Al

i found a third fork blade made grabbing 8' logs out of a messy pile way easier and less likely to fall between the forks.
One of my suppliers delivers 3 cord with a dump trailer so the logs end up in a spread out twisted mess that is not productive with my firewood processor so I must repile it. With this spacing I can still move a pallet or an IBC tote no issues.

Attachments

• F1993764-A6FA-42F8-A6A0-34E5D180C317.jpeg
    F1993764-A6FA-42F8-A6A0-34E5D180C317.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 30
Today was another very nice day, and as I needed (5) 2x's to finish building another firewood box, I loaded that above log on my BSM and started milling it,

standard.jpg

and I just got my five 2x's out of it,

standard.jpg

and now I have another firewood box to fill!
orig.gif

standard.jpg

and the best part for me is, "I" planted that tree about 30 years ago, so WHO SAYS you only plant tree's for the next generation!
orig.gif

SR

My wife was crabbing about the trees I was cutting in our woods when we first moved here. Most were damaged from a earlier ice storm before we bought the place. I cut them down in the fall after the leaf fall.
today the stuff that jumped up from those old maples are 8 to 10 inches in Dia.

She also got 7 rows of white pine and white spruce planted across the front of our place and 2 rows of white pine and blue spruce down the south line.
RmbrqOB.jpg

Al

With any luck ,this summer I'll be dragging wood in with a small garden tractor.

Horsepower, probably in the single digits, certainly not over 15.

I was more or less right and wrong at the same time.

I was looking at old International Cub Cadets. Drug my feet, they sold. I decided to open up my options.

Got this

IMG_20200729_122933308.jpg

Ended up being one of those black magic deals. I watched it start, stop, and run multiple times only to have it not move off my trailer once I brought it home. Went through the carb, happy days, does an ounce of work and it's down again.

So I've been running this instead.

IMG_20200729_175625362.jpg

IMG_20200729_122201418.jpg

Small timing. Won't win any races but the only competition I have is old man winter and I haven't lost yet.

It looked lonely sitting in the garage. Took the deck off, which is half it's entire weight, my goodness. My daughter has pulled a few loads, that's a kick. I remember being a youngster pulling what couldn't have been 2 or 3 hundred pounds and feeling like you had the whole world on your shoulders. Nice to see it from the other side.

Might just sell the Cub, buy some new truck tires or a guitar and call it a day. :)

getting stocked up with logs, gotta get em when ya can it seems.... asked for this in march!
17 cords left over in a block that should have went to a mill, this is nice jack pine.
This logger dumps 3 cord off a dump trailer and it gets spread out so i gotta repile it before processing.

Attachments

• E6DFEB52-B1F1-48D8-BA7B-B81691F8409A.jpeg
    E6DFEB52-B1F1-48D8-BA7B-B81691F8409A.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 570AB9D2-9F8B-43D3-876D-5BBBAB1692A4.jpeg
    570AB9D2-9F8B-43D3-876D-5BBBAB1692A4.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 22
Bought this Case DX33 for running an airblast sprayer in the orchard. The fan takes 15 PTO HP to generate 19,600 CFM. DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPG Pretty handy for firewood too. Changed from the pin on style bucket to bobcat quick attach bracket.

Demo to see how it works, this is just water.

Bought this Case DX33 for running an airblast sprayer in the orchard. The fan takes 15 PTO HP to generate 19,600 CFM. View attachment 846882View attachment 846883View attachment 846884View attachment 846885 Pretty handy for firewood too. Changed from the pin on style bucket to bobcat quick attach bracket.

Demo to see how it works, this is just water.

Looking good Ron. I was just thinking about that rig on Tuesday night. We were spraying for coddling moth and I was thinking how slick that airblast setup would be. Someday, maybe...

Didn’t know that even existed...what’s the spray?

Varies a lot depending on conditions, pest prevalence, and fungal disorders at the time. The spray yesterday was the 13th of the season. This was a mix of Wrangler and Imidan,(coddling moth, apple maggot and japanese beetles) Captan and Topsin for fungal, scab, sooty blotch and fly speck. Plus some Nutrisync D micro nutrients and 10% calcium to abate bitter pit. The apples you see in the grocery store don't just happen.

Varies a lot depending on conditions, pest prevalence, and fungal disorders at the time. The spray yesterday was the 13th of the season. This was a mix of Wrangler and Imidan,(coddling moth, apple maggot and japanese beetles) Captan and Topsin for fungal, scab, sooty blotch and fly speck. Plus some Nutrisync D micro nutrients and 10% calcium to abate bitter pit. The apples you see in the grocery store don't just happen.

You grow apples? Is that the only fruit you grow?

They grow stone fruit, citrus, nuts, and grapes around here. I can only recall seeing one apple orchard.

I've hauled apples from by the semi load from Washington and Oregon to places like Hunts Point NY, Berlington VT, Land over Ma, and Philly Pa.
Apples were nearly a year old and older when being loaded on my trailer.
Intresting how they are stored all winter.

Al

Latest posts

Back