First post! First chainsaw rebuild! 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm Matt. I've been working for a trail crew in Utah and enjoy the saw work immensely. It has given me the spark to finally try to get this saw running. I got it for free from a ski resort firewood crew and was told main bearing was bad. The further I got into the saw the more problems I found. I'm trying to use all oem new/used parts and be as meticulous as possible. Its all apart and clean I'm just waiting for my Bailey's order. "Pending" what a crummy word! I just hope she starts after dumping so much time and money into it. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 20191004_160714.jpg
    20191004_160714.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20191009_194002.jpg
    20191009_194002.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 20191009_194421.jpg
    20191009_194421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20191009_194510.jpg
    20191009_194510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
I'm in UT as well and working on two 372 builds now as well as restoring a Homelite SEZ , a Mac 700 and PM 555. Welcome to CAD.

Good luck on the build.

Welcome. You're going to love it. You'll be filing chain in no time.
While it's apart, look into Farmer Jones modding the cylinder.
While those saws are outstanding when bone-stock, they can really wake up with just a little work and yet keep thier impeccable reliability. Few tools are needed. Solder, vernier calipers and a chain file or Dremel.
Pull the base gasket (be sure to measure your squish!), grind the cylinder's transfer skirts down and open your muffler a bit.
She'll rip.

Welcome. You're going to love it. You'll be filing chain in no time.
While it's apart, look into Farmer Jones modding the cylinder.
While those saws are outstanding when bone-stock, they can really wake up with just a little work and yet keep thier impeccable reliability. Few tools are needed. Solder, vernier calipers and a chain file or Dremel.
Pull the base gasket (be sure to measure your squish!), grind the cylinder's transfer skirts down and open your muffler a bit.
She'll rip.

Thanks. I'll look look into that. I'm thinking of keeping this one stock because I'm probably selling it to fund the next build. I'm guessing another 372 that I'll mod.

That piston crown is interesting, looks like detonation to me. I wonder if it ran too hot due to an air leak and then cause detonation?

Back