Gamn' chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer11

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this chain sharpener and if so where can I get one?
There was an article about it in an old Mother Earth News.

I believe I saw one at a local stihl dealer recently. It screws to the bar just like other file guides. However the one I saw was not a file. It was basically a tapered spiral cutter with a handle that you turned to spin the spiral cutter. Quite unusual. I think I saw one on ebay a few months ago.

I've got one out in the shop that my Dad had. I've tried it a couple of times but never got too serious about it. It may work well for some, but it didn't do much for my chains. I've gone to a clamp on Oregon sharpener.

You can order them from the company: 800-457-3392

It sounds interesting, I'm going to try one.

Later....

That number's no good. Neither is the 812 # in Indiana.
Anyone know if it's still available?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they are still in business. They were made in Southern Indiana near Evansville, I think in Darmstaut. I live about 30 miles from there. I will try and find out for you. I have a couple of their sharpeners, but don't use them much after I got my Oregon grinder. I started using a cordless drill instead of hand cranking on them. They do work, but not as quick as the grinder. They are a well built sharpener. I have had mine for several years. I think back about 20 years ago they were about 30.00$ new

I'm not sure if they are still in business. They were made in Southern Indiana near Evansville, I think in Darmstaut. I live about 30 miles from there. I will try and find out for you. I have a couple of their sharpeners, but don't use them much after I got my Oregon grinder. I started using a cordless drill instead of hand cranking on them. They do work, but not as quick as the grinder. They are a well built sharpener. I have had mine for several years. I think back about 20 years ago they were about 30.00$ new

I work with a guy who also had one. I tried to look for them around Evansville, but never found them.

If by luck you find them please send me a PM.

This sharpener , or one that looks the same was first introduced in the early 1980's. It was called the Gamn chain sharpener. The company is no longer in business. I still have a couple, but the cutters are worn out. They were made in southern Indiana.

Here is a photo of the one that is currently on e-Bay so that people can see what it looks like after that listing is pulled (sorry, the computer I am using right now will only let me save it in a PDF document, not as a JPEG).

Philbert

203453d1319033885-gamn-jpg

burr sharpner

the "new" timberline sharpener look VERY similar,

Chainsaw.jpg

Hi all
The gamn sharpner is no longer produced, the new Timberline is very simular. I have a number of the gamn units. I revamped the ones I have so you can sharpen both angles either from the outside/in or the inside/out. I prefer outside/in using a burr. I acomplished this by redoing the body of the sharpner so as to accept the tooth stop on either end of the jigg. this way you can sharpen all the teeth on one side of the chain, move the tooth stop to the other end of the jigg and turn the sharpner 180 degrees on the bar and do the teeth on the other side of the chain. you end up with a much superior chain this way. The burrs that came with the Gamn unit would do on the average 75 to 100 chain dependant on length and condition of the chain. Safe cutting all.

Posting pictures

Jim,

Check your A.S. in box - I sent you a link re: how to post pictures. I am sure that others would like to see this too.

Philbert

Hi again
Thanks for the information, but all of this is above my computre skills and I am to old to learn these things now. I am more than happy to walk anyone through the changes I made to the Gamn sharpner over the phone, feel free to call.
Thanks again Jim

Latest posts

Back