Garage Art

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what CAD is. But I think I got it.

Stopped in a couple of pawn shops this evening looking for the elusive inexpensive Stihl MS200-C rear handle saw. No luck there. But I also like top handle saws. And....

I found these two bright red all metal beauties at two pawn shops across the street from each other. And I had an itch for a red saw.

Got the fairly minty, for an old saw, Homelite XL2 Automatic at the first stop for $20 out the door.
The shiny bar looks pretty sweet.

My continuing search for the Stihl took me across the street where I found the Craftsman 2.3 16” saw.

The saw body is only slightly worse for wear, but it appeared to be missing a couple of parts.
Looks like there’s a lever of some sort missing from the right hand side of the saw next to the “power sharp” device. The little dial is there though.
And I think there’s supposed to be a button on top of the handle where there is a square hole.

Still, after haggling a bit, I paid a premium of $25 out the door for this saw. Mostly because my dad is a Craftsman fanatic, and I thought he’d enjoy seeing it.

I wasn’t familiar with these saws at all. Except that I noticed a thread here about a Super XL, and I saw a similar, but in much worse shape Homelite at another pawn shop that they were asking $79 for, so I figured $20 and $25 weren’t too bad.

Both saws have compression. Or maybe just partially seized pistons, because they seemed hard to pull.

No idea if I’ll be able to get them running. But I hope so.

Enjoy the pics of some not too bad looking All-American beauties. If you can see them. I hope the attachments are available.
And please add your own garage art pics if you have them.

Attachments

• 8B176418-CD8A-4BA4-8605-D91FB4E3EE07.jpeg
    8B176418-CD8A-4BA4-8605-D91FB4E3EE07.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 003C26EE-0932-480A-84FF-4EAB3E8AAB8D.jpeg
    003C26EE-0932-480A-84FF-4EAB3E8AAB8D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 78
Looking at the Craftsman a little closer, I think the L-shaped hole might be the carb adjustments. Got a bunch of grass in there. Will tear into them soon.

Spent a few minutes with the Craftsman tonight.

Starter has a broken gear. “Power Sharp” is inoperative/disabled/missing parts. Throttle lock button is gone.
But....
Dumped a bit of fuel in the carb and it fired up.
Fuel line and filter seemed alright.
Dumped out what looked like some 16:1 premix.
Added a couple ounces of high test 50:1.
Blindly readjusted high and low out a bit, and turned up the idle.
Reprimed, and cranked’er up.
Idled for about 30 seconds.
So i called it good for now. I think I got something to work with.

Decided to take a look at the Homelite.

Top of carb gummy.
Muffler had oil in it.
Cylinder had oil in it, which explains why it was so hard to pull the starter rope.
Spark plug gapped at .040, supposed to be .025
Hard to tell the condition of the piston and bore with all the dirty oil. Possibly scored.

Think I’ll pull the carb and jug tomorrow.

Cool catch they look great!
Careful with that 50:1. I don’t think either if these saws was ever intended to run on that high of ratio.

I got an old Wright C50 this past summer but have yet to pour fuel in it.
It’s definetly better as a “Garage Art” saw and this one is pretty clean and shiny.
Even when they run (W)right they seem really slow in videos I’ve seen.
Fun though...Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I like them a little bit.

I looked up that C50 and those are really great looking old saws!

About the 50:1..
You know I have an old Poulan 3400 that on the sticker on the saw it says to mix 8 ounces of oil to 1 gallon.
That’s a 16:1 ratio.

Recently, they have changed their recommendations for all their saws, no matter when they were made, to 40:1.

I think that when they suggested the 16:1 it was when good quality 2-stroke oil wasn’t commonly available. Or in some places not available at all.
The 16:1 suggestion, from what I understand, is actually for straight motor oil. The old technology motor oil.
So out of the blue they changed everything from 16:1 to 40:1, even for their old saws.

And my 50:1 is full synthetic. High end stuff. With high octane gas. Nothings blown up yet.

I run all my saws on 40:1. Its just a personal thing but those saws will be fine at 50:1. Garage art pics.20181011_154051.jpgPair of small craftsman/poulans. One 2.1 one 2.3.20180630_121722.jpg Old bell industry chain grinder iv had for 2 years and never setup.20180529_100055.jpg Homelite 360 needs the intake boot that is the Achilles heel of these saws. P/C are clean so should be a runner after that.
Theres a 3400 and 2300 poulan in there to but no pics.

I run all my saws on 40:1. Its just a personal thing but those saws will be fine at 50:1. Garage art pics.View attachment 680680Pair of small craftsman/poulans. One 2.1 one 2.3.View attachment 680683 Old bell industry chain grinder iv had for 2 years and never setup.View attachment 680684 Homelite 360 needs the intake boot that is the Achilles heel of these saws. P/C are clean so should be a runner after that.
Theres a 3400 and 2300 poulan in there to but no pics.
I like that 360.

Got the little Homelite running tonight. Washed the oil out the cylinder with the old gas that I dumped from the other saw.
Regapped and cleaned the plug.
Cleaned out the muffler and left out the gummed up screen.
Then fired’er up and kept givin it some throttle a little at a time to keep it running until it blew most of the oil out.
Then adjusted the idle and she ran for about 15 minutes until I shut’er off.

I’m guessin that someone put oil in the gas tank.
And there musta been some oil still left in the tank, or in the crakncase because she was smokin like a freight train...but she sounded like an aeroplane.
Loud little sucker I tell ya.

There might be something more going on here, because it made an oily mess while running.

This Homelite must oil all the time. It’s drippin chain oil out while it’s idling.

I’m going to cut some stuff with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to quit smoking so much.

Can’t get the muffler off the Craftsman 2.3.
The screw that goes all the way through the center seems to be stripped out.
It won’t back out even a little so I can get something under it to pull it while unscrewing.
Guess I’m going to have to drill the top off of that screw.

For anyone not aware of the old Sears powersharp setup, it only works with a specific type of chain.
There's a picture of it near the bottom of this link.
http://en.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/powersharp/powersharp_chain.htm
Sears/Craftsman called theirs a Barracuda chain.
For those of you looking from a cell phone, Colts saw has been fitted with a non-powersharp chain.

B46CD137-637A-4FFD-B19F-AAF2C21EACF3.jpeg
This Homelite must oil all the time. It’s drippin chain oil out while it’s idling.

I’m going to cut some stuff with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to quit smoking so much.
If XL2 is smoking all the time, most likely duckbill in oil tank is missing. When missing it will suck bar oil into crankcase. This is what it’s supposed to look like with the oil cap off.

Can’t get the muffler off the Craftsman 2.3.
The screw that goes all the way through the center seems to be stripped out.
It won’t back out even a little so I can get something under it to pull it while unscrewing.
Guess I’m going to have to drill the top off of that screw.
But if you drill the top off whatre gonna get under to wedge with? Course if theres any thread you might be able to get a nut on there. Or use a small visegrip. Been there. Quite a quandry

View attachment 680991
If XL2 is smoking all the time, most likely duckbill in oil tank is missing. When missing it will suck bar oil into crankcase. This is what it’s supposed to look like with the oil cap off.
I think I saw that thing in there.

I used it yesterday and it seems like it’s burned off all the oil that was in it and is running right now.

Back