Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My reading between the lines of the Huntsville situation -- it wasn't non-union go home, it was non-union just sign our local book for the job...basically a temporary membership. The local utility probably has a contract provision that they pay the union X$ per hour for each union worker. Once the job is done, tell them to go punt. The situation was probably exaggerated by the parties on both sides.

The situation was probably exaggerated by the parties on both sides.
I agree. I'm quite sure those are union crews that have been working on the lines on my road all day, and I'm glad they are. I'd go another day or two without power rather than have non-union workers doing it. Not everyone is a sucker for the corporations.

I agree. I'm quite sure those are union crews that have been working on the lines on my road all day, and I'm glad they are. I'd go another day or two without power rather than have non-union workers doing it. Not everyone is a sucker for the corporations.

Funny, I think the same thing about both the unionists and corporate-ists. They all seemed like penned sheep.;)

We got power back about 5:30 last night. Making electricity from gasoline sure is expensive, but I was thankful for the "new" Coleman Vertex generator. I've never really been a Briggs & Stratton fan, but the 14.5hp GentTekPro OHV on that thing is a gem. It started right up and ran very well (OK, I had to remove the limiter cap from the idle screw so I could adjust it, but still), it ran clean and it didn't use hardly a drop of oil. My old 10hp Tecumseh exhaust just reeked even when tuned as best I could.

My plans to haul wood yesterday got interrupted half way through when I got a call from my neighbor asking for help because he'd got his saw stuck. I'd heard the saw going all morning, and wondered about that because I had not seen much damage. Well when I got up there I found that he had convinced the crew to put the new poll in a better spot, as long as he cut down a bunch of stuff that was in the way. He was cutting off stuff way too big for his 32cc Echo, including a 22" branch he cut from a ladder. He's been cutting and burning wood for a long time but he's a little scary with a saw and not much on technique - no wedges, trying to make trees go directions they don't want to go, etc.

I fired up the 2775 and cut him free, and then dropped the remaining stuff in the way. We had to work fast to avoid holding up the crew, and I missed a 2" grape vine that was up in one 10" sassafras, and it swung around like a drunk once it started to go. Wasn't a big deal but I hate working that way. Then I went down and got some bigger and smaller saws and fuel and we made a dent in the stuff we dropped - at least until the crew had to come back and string wires, and then the saws were going to make it hard to talk so we quit. The 24" bar on the Mac made quick work of the big branch he'd dropped, and I managed to keep it out of the rocks it fell onto. They were from Pittsburgh area and commented on how much harder it was working in these rocky hills. We asked "what hill?"

I was glad for the excuse to get out of hauling wood, but now I have to get out to it anyway.

So, I got to working on the tree across the driveway today.

Box elder. Species kingtree, genus Fuc.

Now I don't have to deal with elm, so I'm sure there is wood out there with a higher work:BTU ratio. It's better then a snowball, and I suppose if I got seconds from S&S Aqualogging and threw them in the stove a few days after they came off the river bottom, they might burn worse then Box Elder.

So first, the top is a freaking mess with vines. I hadn't sized this up, so I don't have shears in my pocket and have to deal with all of them with the saw.

And oh, my Ranger blew a brake line Saturday and I haven't repaired that yet, so I'm working off a garden tractor and lawn trailer. So I stack the brush to return to haul it to my brush dump or a burn pile once the truck can stop effectively again.

Work my way down the tree, only to discover when I get to the main trunk (which is deeply embedded in a patch of multiflora rose)...that what I've been grumbling about cutting is actually on one of two equal size leaders, the other is buried in even more multiflora rose and autumn olive.

*sigh* Keep telling yourself it's more BTUs then a snowball. But I'm debating whether when you add up labor, two cycle gasoline, and tractor gas to haul it across the yard to the house if you actually gain net BTUs.

Have I ever mentioned I'm not a fan of Box Elder?

You haven't mentioned splitting it yet. Box elder can sometimes be fairly decent and straight grained, but more often it's a twisted gnarly mess. Enjoy!

PS - Elm is far better in the btus-work ratio-at least there's heat in elm.

I run into black gum, I think [I'm not a tree expert], & this stuff you can bust the outside off but the inside is a mess. If I burn this I try to cut it in a way it will fit in the stove cause I'm not feeding it to the TimberWolf.

Back