Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting in shape for climbing

Discussion in 'Recreational Tree Climbing' started by tramp bushler, Jul 28, 2013.

1. tramp bushler

tramp bushler Addicted to ArboristSite

Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
    . My advice. Chin ups, sit ups, deep knee bends. And to build strength without maxing out, pull downs.

Then, climb. It's not just strength but also fluidity of movement that makes climbing, or the act of climbing fun.

2. imagineero

imagineero Addicted to ArboristSite

I always found the best training for climbing is climbing ;-)

Hoowasat likes this.
  3. iclimbtreesbro

iclimbtreesbro ArboristSite Lurker

I was already in great shape before I ever began tree climbing... nothing beats weighted pull-ups, weighted dips, deadlifts and squats. All of my friends consider me to be jacked.

With that being said, there are very few workouts that replicate the compound muscle movements of climbing, especially with constant 3-dimensional push-pull motions. Squats and leg extensions definitely help with ensurance while using foot ascenders.

One of these days I will post a video of me doing a dead-hang pullup 1-rep max of 110 lbs strapped to my waist. Climbing with the bigger chainsaws is a whole new game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SeMoTony likes this.