Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
What gloves do y’all use when running a saw? I typically use a impact resistant type glove when I’m handling wood but don’t care for them running a saw? I’ve used mecha-flex glove and seen to work but don’t last? I would like something thin and flexible and a strapped cuff or tight cuff so shaving don’t get in them. Thanks!

I like the Chilly Grip gloves. I buy a dozen at a time and leave them everywhere I want a pair of gloves. They're reasonably cheap and they're much better than an Atlas glove. They don't last forever, but they've got very good grip and they're comfy.

I wonder if a "Search" mechanism in this forum would be useful?

My Summer/Winter mix

View attachment 635611

No kidding, ton of glove threads here but I also know the search function isn't the most useful.

I prefer the "dipped" gloves as they're just enough, and they never seem bulky or in the way. Everyone has a preference on gloves I'd imagine but most of your nitrile dipped gloves are pretty awesome, cheap, and disposable. I like them for their added grip, but they do not hold up to wood handling.

Try the Nitrile gloves, under $4 for a pack of three at Wall Mart. Yes they are 'throwaways" but last a lot longer than I thought they would, thin, flexible, coating gives a nice grip on smooth splits.

I've been working firewood since 1967 and never wore gloves, then I discovered the nitriles last year. I have a pack of them in the truck, in the car, in the shop and in the house. Don't do hardly anything without grabbing a pair.

Try the Nitrile gloves, under $4 for a pack of three at Wall Mart. Yes they are 'throwaways" but last a lot longer than I thought they would, thin, flexible, coating gives a nice grip on smooth splits.

I've been working firewood since 1967 and never wore gloves, then I discovered the nitriles last year. I have a pack of them in the truck, in the car, in the shop and in the house. Don't do hardly anything without grabbing a pair.
Are these the same as Jere39 shows on the left side of his Pic? Regardless, would you recommend these for me to buy for a professional logger who has a birthday coming up? If so, I'll buy a pack of pairs for myself as well. I go through gloves like Grant went through Richmond, especially when handling hackberry and ash.

Are these the same as Jere39 shows on the left side of his Pic? Regardless, would you recommend these for me to buy for a professional logger who has a birthday coming up? If so, I'll buy a pack of pairs for myself as well. I go through gloves like Grant went through Richmond, especially when handling hackberry and ash.

I believe so but they come from different makers and thus different colors, etc. They are the best thing I ever found for filing a chain also. Enough protection for the hands and still have 'feel'

More than any other, RAWHIDE, more for physical protection than grip.
I cut and clear more small growth than anything else, often stop, start, toss & move material.
I like the rubber coated glove and I do use them but by far like rawhide.
There is nothing perfect for working in the wet.

There is no tree species that can possibly tear up gloves faster than hackberry. The deer know this. They use hackberry trees to remove velvet from their antlers and as a scratching post. When handling hackberry and ash, I sometimes use Boss neoprene gloves (completely waterproof) with a second soft internal glove for insulation when it's cold. It's a bit awkward and your hands can't breathe very well, but it works.

I don't usually wear gloves for saw work or firewood work, except when it gets real cold. But if it's that cold I don't like being out there anyway.
When I do wear them, I wear them out so fast, I don't like spending the money. I do wear plan old deer skin gloves for some types of work, like barbwire fence work or clearing briers or handling sheet metal, stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back