ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Got me a wood thief

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Polish hammer, Mar 5, 2019.

1. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

And if you jump over the fence its a lot harder to jump back out if you think about it!

2. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Thats Natasha at 12 weeks.

farmer steve and grizz55chev like this.
  3. bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman Addicted to ArboristSite

I think it would be fun to take the thief over a few bundles. Knock on door and give them to him...say here this is easier than you stealing it from me. Tell him that obviously he must need it worse than you do. Might be surprised by the outcome...at the very least revel in how uncomfortable he becomes especially if there are others there (kids/wife).

4. 95custmz

95custmz ArboristSite Guru

I’ll let you borrow my dog. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmaple, lone wolf and lead farmer like this.
  5. 4seasons

4seasons ArboristSite Guru

I never said that I would shoot your dog nor did I imply it. But criminals don't care about laws. A dog is just a deterrent. You can see my deterrent on my profile pic. But I don't delude myself into thinking he will stop a determined criminal. Any dog can be taken out by a rifle shot from a safe distance away or by a car tire close up.
    I never wanted to turn this into a dog thread, only point out that a dog is only a deterrent.

farmer steve, 95custmz and Duce like this.
  6. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I have someone doing the same thing. Has paid with fake money, dropped in $1 for $20 of wood, etc.

Filling with gunpowder? Uh, no! How could a person set it up that the thief takes that bundle?! Plus what happens when it blows and hurts or kills?! As much as it'd feel nice to see a thief's stove blow open, I sure wouldn't chance doing something like that!

I've had the self serve stand up going on 3 years and have had minimal issue till recently. In the last 2 months, I've had about $250 of bundles stolen.
    I suspect from the same person.

Got setup with trail cameras. Well, 2 setups I had were junk. First one didnt get any pics. 2nd ate batteries like candy, lasted 1-2 days!
    3rd one seems to be working. Since I put it up, the "slippage" has stopped.

Working on investing on a vending machine for the bundles. Wood Shack. I believe the owner is on here.

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot ArboristSite Guru

As much as I enjoy me some backwoods justice, I have to agree with Choppy here.

What if the guy has his wife or girlfriend, or even worse, his kid load the stove. What if its a fireplace and they are watching tv. Someone innocent could get killed or seriously maimed over some firewood. Just walk over to his house, tell him you caught him on camera, and if you catch him again you're going to take matters in your own hands, and beat the piss out of him.

I'd also keep record of the police report. I'd request in writing that they cant legally enforce any actions against the thief. Then if it goes to court, you can show the judge that you tried to be a law abiding citizen and do the right thing.

8. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Well for that matter they can shoot anyone or anything! Dogs can alert you to prowlers! As a team a man and a dog is better! OK ! I suggest a 6 foot fence locking gate, ,burglar alarms, cameras with motion alerts, dogs, owners that have a neighbor on call to alerts with guns any better? Or do you still think the perps will fare well? It depends on how prepped the owner is and if you leave your home alone you areas target always have a person there to guard it , if you are worried about it!

farmer steve, 4seasons and mikey517 like this.
  9. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

Anyone who has there wood stolen should mix in some willow wood in your wood. Smells like the swamp is burning. A motion detector spot light wired to a alarm inside the house works good.

10. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

The have wireless alerts called driveway alerts. a game cam too!

11. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Addicted to ArboristSite

I was in court for a traffic violation years ago. A gent went before the judge for stealing a pack of cigarettes about $1.65 or so then. Gave the dude 30 days. I thought good on you judge.

I think petty misdemeanors need to be prosecuted. If not they will do it again and very likely for more. Why wait for them to become felons... Give em a taste of what's to come.

12. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Dude prob had a record no?

sixonetonoffun likes this.
  13. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Addicted to ArboristSite

14. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

someone back up to my mixed css pile of pine 2 weeks ago in the middle of the night.. backed through 3feet of plowed snow in a ditch as deep an removed 3/4 cord of pine! balls at that as they got stuck and shoveled them selves out! 200 feet from my bedroom window? guess I am getting old and deaf! hope they stayed as warm as they did shoveling a load of "HOT PINE"...…. what beats all is there are 7 neighbors in a block area and heard/seen nothing!????

sixonetonoffun and 95custmz like this.
  15. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Couple years ago they passed a bill "SB 91" Cliff's Notes is it bumped down punishments for most crimes so prison/jail population would be less to save $$.
    As anyone can imagine, crime rates have gone WAY up. Get a slap on the hand for most things.
    If you ask me, should cut off the hand, especially after the 2nd or 3rd time of being caught for the same thing.

chucker, sixonetonoffun and Husky Man like this.
  16. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

Resized_20181205_072130_7408.jpg Same but most people that dont be long here change there mind when they come out the door side by side full speed. If they just stood there ground they could take what they want after a quick sniff and some tail wagging.

panolo, 95custmz, rarefish383 and 4 others like this.
  17. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

all the guard dog talk reminded me of this.

Duce and lone wolf like this.
  18. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Here's my attack pack. You see I've got them locked up to protect the general populace. About 650-700 pounds all grown up. They just sit on the bad guy and drown him with spit.
    [​IMG]

panolo, Natster, olyman and 5 others like this.
  19. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Bearnaise Mountain dogs

rarefish383 likes this.
  20. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Yep. They love to sit on people. I call them Bernese lap dogs. If you're sitting in a chair they back up and sit on your feet. If your laying on the floor they will sit on your back. If you fall asleep on the floor, bigger than life, they will sit right on your head. They love to be close.

95custmz and lone wolf like this.