Green Giant Spacing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For GG 2 rows, what should be spacing between front and back row? Spacing between the trees?

• 3 or 5 ft for space between 1st and 2nd row?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6, 8, 10 or another amount for the space in between the GG?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ggscreen

Reaction score
I’m looking for complete privacy and trying to get green giants as tall as possible. I have plenty of space for staggered 2 rows but I’ve read a wide range of advice on the spacing between the front and back row ( 3-5 ft) and space between trees (5-12ft). These ranges are too broad and I don’t want to randomly guess on a tree that will hopefully be in place for 30 years+. I really want to get this right and I’m okay with the front row overlapping with second row because one tree may grow thinner than another one and I don’t want any gaps. The goal is not to try to plant as few as possible; instead the goal is no gaps, healthy and strong root structure and preparing for the long term growth. Thank you in advance and I welcome all your thoughts and ideas!

I would space the rows 3’ apart and space the trees 8’ apart alternately in each row. This gives you 5’ spacing between plants. This should give you complete privacy in a couple years.

Planting them closer together will cause the lower branches to die out later in their life. Farther apart will take longer to achieve privacy.

Thanks!

I just planted the GG and they look awesome! I have 7 GG that are around 6-7 feet tall. I did have a few questions because I want these GG to grow healthy and last:

1) What's the best way to water GG so you get deep roots? My local nursery said I should water 4 times a week for 10-15minutes (90+ degree heat here), but I'm worried the watering is happening too fast and roots don't have enough time to absorb the water causing the roots to grow near ground level, instead of deep into the soil. I really welcome your thoughts on how to do this properly.

2) Should I water the plants with a "dripper" hose or just use a sprinkler on low? My local nursery discourage a dripper hose because they worry about the holes plugging so I've been using a sprinkler on low. However, using a sprinkler is fairly inefficient way to water because I'm constantly moving the hoses to water "360" degrees around the GG.

3) Water: For watering, should I be watering just by the tree stem or should I be watering the stem + a 4-6 inches circumference around the GG?

4) Mulch: how much mulch should I be using and what's the best kind (hardwood, cedar or something else)? I know to keep the mulch away from the stem and branches, but I wasn't sure how far to extend the mulch and which kind to get.

Considering your trees are just planted, the roots haven't had a change go grow past the dug root ball. I would water 2-3 times a week for an hour at a time concentrated around your roots. You can reduce the frequency once you have the deeper soil damp. It will also depend on your soil type, if you have coarser soils (more gravels and sands), the water will flow through the soil faster, so get to the roots faster and you don't need to water as long each time. If you have finer soils (silts and clays) then you need a longer slower watering to allow the water to soak through the soil, but once the soil is moist it doesn't dry as fast.

To find your sweet spot, water an area near where you planted the trees, then dig a small hole and see how far the water has seeped through the soil for the density and length of time you watered. The goal is to get water to the roots. Frequency, type of watering, length of watering are just ways of figuring this out easier.

Latest posts

Back