Grinder Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 50's thru mid early 70's my father had a chainsaw dealership. Sold mostly Homelite but also handled a few minor brands of the time. I remember him setting at the grinder sharpening chains in the evenings after supper. I remember customers paid "a dime a inch" ( bar length ) for sharpening.
I thought the grinder had been stolen or thrown away as I had not seen it for years. My Mother ran across it today and asked if I would like to have it. She found it under some things stored in the old shop. I had told her I was going to get a grinder when I could afford it so she was glad to let me have it. It is a Nielsen 100B. The head was stiff and the motor was nearly frozen but, after cleaning and some lube along with manual turning of both parts it freed to a point that I thought it should work. I had to replace the elec. cord as it was split and cracked, also installed a light bulb. Fired right up!!
Sharpend my chains tonite with it. It made me feel awful good to get it going, and brought back a lot of memories. I bet the Old Man was lookin' down with a smile as well.

That's way cool to be using a "vintage" grinder.....even better that it was your dads.

Now how 'bout some pic's???

RD

it's a great feeling to bring something back.

even better it was your Dad's.

probably better made than most of todays grinders anyway.Good Job!

Pics would be nice ya know!

How Cool Is That !!

Pop is definitely looking down on you and smiling. Now you just need to find all his vintage tin signs from the brands of saws he sold and hang them in your basement or workshop ! :cheers:

Pop is definitely looking down on you and smiling. Now you just need to find all his vintage tin signs from the brands of saws he sold and hang them in your basement or workshop ! :cheers:

The grinder is cool for sure but this was the first thing that crossed my mind too! :clap: I've got a decent little collection going, need to get them hung up in the shop.

Latest posts

Back