Chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEK

верига човек
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but no photos. Yesterday a Bulgarian brought me 5 chains to sharpen, 3 of which were normal chains, the other 2 he was trying to explain something to me and I did not understand a word of it but he kept pointing to the rakers.
So after getting my glasses on I noticed it looked like a very old couple of chains very worn down, it looked like some type of safety chain, bumper stops I think you call them with very small rakers. On the back end of the teeth it had a small step on it, never seen that before, and when I sharpened them on the grinder hardly any sparks and the wheel looked hot, any ideas. There are a lot of chinky saws here so possible a cheap chain but it is the small step behind the tooth I do not understand.
He was well chuffed with his chains and when I went into the local store he had left several large bottles of my favoite beer and a block of cheese for me!

Something like this?
images (1).png
The "bumpers" between the cutters were originally implemented to lower vibration. A side effect was reduced kickback (along with a reduction in the ability to bore cut).
There are a ton of variations, most are aimed more towards the reduced kickback than lower vibration these days

Something like this?
View attachment 1042112
The "bumpers" between the cutters were originally implemented to lower vibration. A side effect was reduced kickback (along with a reduction in the ability to bore cut).
There are a ton of variations, most are aimed more towards the reduced kickback than lower vibration these days
Thats the one. And i have a crazy thought about the step on the rear of the tooth, many chains here have quite a few teeth missing and I wonder if this step is to strenthen the teeth from breaking. Some of these chains are virtually impossible to sharpen with a file down to the way they are sharpened in the chinky factories as I have found out.
Thanks for the help, never come across this type of chain before.

Back