Happy with my off-brand chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastoutWest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was sick of the vibration, stupid leaky filler caps, thin safety chains, terrible bar tensioner and general crappiness of my craftsman and my landlord's poulan pro (turns out they are exactly the same). Picked up a 45cc 16" "Power King" saw from the big box store for around $150 and have been very impressed with it over the past year.
power-king-gas-chainsaws-pk451620-64_1000.jpg

The vibration dampening works great, its really simple; just a toggle switch and a choke knob. The fuel and bar oil compartments are large with good caps. The tensioner is like the ones found on most commercial-grade saws. Runs aggressive chains!

I did break a bar stud when I let it get too hot bucking a big dead locust with a dull chain... inspecting the broken stud tells me it would have happened eventually. cheap pot metal. So I swapped on some universal grade 8 studs and it's been great.

I've operated stihls, echos and husqvarnas, and this saw works as well as any I've used (with comparable size of course). If I had the dough, I'd probably buy a stihl, but compared to a comparably priced craftsman or poulan, this saw wins hands-down.

Many of these saws are based off of or direct copies of old Komatsu zenoah designs, so they have that going for them. Parts availability is often an issue, and you will need parts. The few of these types of saws I've dealt with have carb issues, bar oiler failures and bad coils, on off switches always fail too. Seen many cheap Poulan saws last a long time with proper care, ethanol fuel makes most caps leak eventually, but yeah they're cheap disposal saws too. These saws are what they are, glad it's working out for you.[emoji111]

I have a couple of these. They're way better than other similar priced new saws, the new cheap poulans are slower and don't start or oil near as good.
Parts are stupid easy to get, go to ebay, aliexpress or amazon, you can gat anything you need easily and cheaply. Bars and chains are husky small mount .325 so you can walk into a hardware store and get them.
You can turn the 45 into a 52 for under 20 bucks if you want to. The cylinders interchange between the 45 and 52. I did this to mine along with some porting, the saws way faster. I ran it ported as a 45 and a 52, the 45 revved a little more and the 52 has more tq both are way faster than stock just different.
I see your saw came with the 16 inch bar, that's the best length for these saws imo, they're front heavy with the 20 that comes on most of them. The 16 inch .325 .058 chain is also a common husky size so you can get good chain easily, the Chinese 20 is a oddball length, its more like 19, it needs 76 links but husky 20 inch bars use 78 or 80 so they don't fit well.

Two years ago i bought a 58cc
Kingpark labeled saw
18 inch bar 78.00 shipped ebay.
Still going strong my friend wanted it.
I have many saws plus I didn't care for that particular saws
Easy start feature.
But it works good.
It's his only saw.

Apparently you like them so much you wanted to make sure we knew.

:happybanana:

True. I only write reviews for products that either really impress me or really frustrate me... Tried to do it in the chainsaw review section but the brand wasn't listed and none of the other brand selections would select anyway.

I've got a 56cc made by surpass tool which makes powerking that has been a great saw. I've also got the 40cc powerking as well. I like the useful features they have. They both have fuel level sights, the 40cc has a clip on air filter cover, and both have side tension adjusters.

Or if you can weld, get a single port and make it a dual port with a second piece of 3/4od tube

Back