history of chainsaw bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawchap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
yeah lots of difrent bars I guess the one that I find the most interesting is the sprocket nose bar used in the 50s and 60s. then you got hard tip bars,pro bars, bananna nose bars,big bars, small bars hard nose bars, lots of bars to talk about some pictures would be great I hope to get pictures up some day. well new year is coming fast and I got chainsaws on my mind. hope everyone has a great start to the new year keep them saws ripping:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::lol:

This is true good point Mack attack can't say I've ever used one or seen one in person are utility bars for cutting brush?

Talking about these things, the "betamax" of chainsaw bars. I think someone here collects these bars.

Attachments

• Homelite-Super-wiz-66bow-Saw-chainsawhomelite-super-wiz.jpg
    Homelite-Super-wiz-66bow-Saw-chainsawhomelite-super-wiz.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
This post is like a drunken text to an ex-girlfriend in the middle of the night :surprised3: :drinking::lol:

You forgot about the bow style bars, I've always wondered what the utility of those things was versus a regular bar.

I used one recently. In certain situations (essentially just cutting logs that are laying on the ground) they are useful and save your back. In just about every single conceivable situation other than that, they're dangerous and useless.

You don't want to use them in brush, or on logs above the ground. You can't use them for falling really. It's like someone figured out what caused kickback and was like 'lets crate a bar that exacerbates that issue to the maximum'.

I was wondering what those bars were used for when were the in the market or do they still make them to this day? What type of chain do they run anything spific?

I was wondering what those bars were used for when were the in the market or do they still make them to this day? What type of chain do they run anything spific?
They were made for a very specific situation and they do work for that situation. I don't believe they are made anymore because of the kickback regulations these days.

They use the same chains as regular bars.

Bow bars are still very common here in the PNW with Christmas tree farms. Guys use them to plunge, flush cut the Christmas trees at ground level. I’ve never tried one but I see guys using them all the time. I suppose it’s easier because
There so much foliage close to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only use mine for bucking wood, easier on my back. Must use one with great respect and watch what you are doing when running. I use a regular bar for dropping trees. Saw on the left has the original Poulan chipper chain and the other is running a full chisel chain. I have less chance of the bow getting pinched than a straight bar. They were used primarily down here in the south for pine pulp wood cutting.
d2dc99095f59d0b188355880d6d8c4f1.jpg

Steve Sidwell

I only use mine for bucking wood, easier on my back. Must use one with great respect and watch what you are doing when running. I use a regular bar for dropping trees. Saw on the left has the original Poulan chipper chain and the other is running a full chisel chain. I have less chance of the bow getting pinched than a straight bar. They were used primarily down here in the south for pine pulp wood cutting.
d2dc99095f59d0b188355880d6d8c4f1.jpg

Steve Sidwell
what is the metal or plastic thing hanging of the bow all about

Those are the bucking dogs that go against the wood while cutting. Without those the bow would come back at you like a kickback. Those have to be against the wood at all times to hold it into place. I'm looking into getting full guards for the top and bottom of the bows.

Back