how do you dispose of your ashes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i searched for posts and found nothing on what everyone does with their ashes after they have them shoveled into a bucket, vacuumed, etc. i personally shovel mine into a steel bucket and set it in a snow bank to cool and then dump them along the fence line that separates yard and pasture, or fill pot holes in the driveway with them. always been wary of dumping them in a garbage can even after letting them cool . . .seen several house fires started that way.

I dump them in the woods behind my house. If there isnt snow on the ground I make sure that all of the embers are out before I dump them. No need to start the woods on fire.
My ex-girlfriend's parents used to dump their fireplace ashes on their driveway. They did this so there would be more traction for their vehicles on the driveway and no doubt the dark color of the ashes made the ice melt off the driveway sooner.

They go into a metal trash can. When the trash company comes and empties the dumpster, the ashes go into the empty dumpster. That way I don't worry about any coals starting a fire.

Steel trash can to cool, then in to trash bag for trash day or on driveway as needed. And if my neighbor steals my wood again, into his fuel tank.

Steel trash can to cool, then in to trash bag for trash day or on driveway as needed. And if my neighbor steals my wood again, into his fuel tank.

The old potato up the tailpipe works too - Haven't done one of those since I was a kid - I bet a cat. convertor really blows though! :clap: And, the ash goes over the bank on the leaf pile, once it's cool.

I dump them into my garden spot. The soil needs the ash and I like the veggies that grow because I feed the soil.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73974&stc=1&d=1215231195

Mine go on the garden too. As a recreational fireplace owner, I don't have that much. Unless you have a garden measured in acres, it might be too much of a good thing for the serious ''heat with wood'' people here.

Last winter before I fed up with the idiots and left it, on another website after I suggested putting the ashes on the garden, some nitwit found a link to a site saying it was bad for the ground. The web is a vast repositry of nonsense.

The old potato up the tailpipe works too - Haven't done one of those since I was a kid - I bet a cat. convertor really blows though! :clap: And, the ash goes over the bank on the leaf pile, once it's cool.

Heck invite em over for a cup of coffee. Two drops of visine in it is un detectable, and he will have about 23 minutes of gut cramps till an explosive bout of action that will render him usless and fearful of sneezing for the next 3 hours. :monkey:

I add mine to the garden for about 5 /6 bucket fulls, the rest go into the old pool pit that the previous owners left, I figure that as I add that to it, and then some soil, i will eventually fill it up.

Last edited:
Driveway, or on any ice that forms, the rest goes in a tree line.

yep i do the exact same thing, just have to watch out for the occasional nail from the pine slabs i use for kindling. sometimes relatives and friends ask to take some of it to put on gardens and rose bushes around their house.

We allway put them out to the tree line. I never though to use them on the drive way for traction. Also I plan on having a garden this year , they may have to go in there as well.

I shovel into steel bucket,take outside for a week dump into paper feed sack then dont to road for garbageday. Two years doing that and never set truck on fire yet. :greenchainsaw:

They go in a steel can to cool off, then I fill a garbage bag with them to keep in my car in case I get stuck. Ash works a lot better for traction than anything else. The rest go on my driveway or in the woods.

I shovel them out of my OWF into an old steel wheelbarrow, let them cool, then roll them down the hill and dump them on a pile where I burn brush.

Always dumped mine in the driveway, helps get up the hill. I think I will be dumping it in the new garden area for a while.

Latest posts

Back