how do you dispose of your ashes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel can, then the burn pile at the transfer station. I used to pile them outside, but the pile started to get a little big.

How do I dispose of my ashes? I won't be able to. That'll be up to my wife, unless she dies at the same time I do.

Ian

Steel can for a while and then right to the hole in my fence that the neighbor's :censored: pitbull made and uses to come into my yard. I hope she drags them back into the house she came from !! GGRrrr....:chainsaw:

Love dogs but this one is bad news.....

JD

First time I cleaned our fireplace out I used my shop-vac thinking the filter would catch all the ash. I'm in the fireplace sucking all the ash out got it spotless turned around to shut the shop vac off and the whole living room looked like London, fine dust everywhere and I could barely see the kitchen. Needless to say I bought the paper bags that go in it and wala no dust and a perfectly cleaned fireplace, when I'm done cleaning I set the shop vac in the middle of the back yard (in case there are hot ashes in it) usually leave it outside all winter. When the bag is full I take it out and drop bag and all in my leaf pile for compost or throw the whole thing in my garden and till it under in the spring the bag is biodegradable. Tomatoe plants look like trees come August and Cabbage must love potash because mine grow huge.:dizzy:

OWB ash

I burn pallets in addition to cord wood so my ash is full of nails. I own a tire store so I like to sprinkle the ashes about a 1/2 mile up the street in each direction from the shop......business is booming !!!:clap:

I shovel them into this steel barrel once a week, let them cool a day or so, then haul them with my 4 wheeler trailer or a dolly about 400 yards behind the house to a burn pile (where we burn brush and stuff), I just dump them into a pile of older ashes ontop the dirt.

attachment.php

Last edited:
3 gal steel bucket , then I put into a 25 gal, trash can to cool then dump into a trash bag and into the trash can on trash night

Might sound crazy,but you can make good lye soap from hardwood ashes,and soft water. The left over ash is put on the garden,because of the potash content in the ash. My experience with wood ashes on the drive way is okay until spring comes and if too many ashes were dumped on the drive,you will get slush or mud. Coal ash is really good to stop slippage on ice because of the larger clinkers. But because of the sulfur in coal ash its not to good for gardens. That lye soap tends to burn your skin so be careful with it. But it does the job,especially in a pinch.

In the garden or compost

I live in the desert so Im tryi
CORONAS.jpg
ng anything to amend my soil :monkey:

Guy down the road a couple years ago was in the local watering hole telling how he, his wife and the boy kept getting flat tires that spring. The knuckle head was burning a skids on occasion. He has a shady side hill driveway that holds ice most of the winter.Those nails melted into the ice and when it got warmer into the mud. When he told the story everyone just looked at him with amazement.DAH, heres your sign.:confused:

Back