How do you store your chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing fancy but it works.

attachment.php

attachment.php

On a bar on a saw, and when they get worn out I hang 'em on the wall. I can see the reasoning behind carrying extra chains, but I rarely cut far from home so if I ruin one I grab another saw.

Coffee cans

Best I've seen and adopted is a couple of small size plastic Folgers coffee cans. GREEN (Decaff) for the good chains, and RED (Regular) for the used/dull chains. They also come in big cans if you need em. I spray a bit of WD-40 in the bottom of both cans and I'm good to go. They're small enough to fit in a square chainsaw box, and you don't have to worry about which lid goes to what container. Easy to wash out or clean, and the price is right.
Steve

I hope this doesn't make too much sense, but here goes:
I fold my sharp chains and wrap them individually in a shop rag like a burrito, and then they are put in the box of saw related stuff for when I go cutting.
When I swap out a chain in the field, I put the dull chain loose in the box (don't matter what happens to it since it's dull anyway) and grab a fresh sharp chain.
Plus, I now have a clean shop rag handy in case I need to wipe my hands off or clean around the bar oil cap before filling it with oil.
If there is something special about a particular chain, I write on the rag with a marker.

Latest posts

Back