How do you store your chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nails are really handy.

Just scribble under 'em with a sharpie as to what they are.
That way ya don't get the wrong gauge chain on the wrong nail, and on the wrong Bar.

Ziplock Freezer bags are handy for the Saw Lug/ Saw Box too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just hang chains on a nail when I am not using my saw for extended periods and the powerhead goes into the plywood partner chainsaw box I have along with the bar and it gets locked up. Once I am ready to put my chain back on I give it a shot of Parker Hale Youngs 303 gun oil then slap the chain on my saw

As a rule I always soak my new chains in a tub of 10w-30 motor oil over night, then hang to drip dry for a day. Then they go into the cutting box, ready to use when needed.

Something I've wondered about for awhile and thought I'd ask.

I've read in numerous manuals that chains should be stored soaked in oil.

I understand the advantages and advisability of this but have to admit that I am very careless in this regard. I also hate mounting oily chains.

This would also involve oiling new chains before mounting (the idea is to get oil permeate the rivet area).

So - How many of you store your chains well oiled and oil new chains before mounting?

And if you store them oiled just how do you store them ie in a plastic bag, bucket, plastic tub ???? I'm sure you don't hang oil soaked chains from nails on the wall - do you?

Carl: I've got some real old cut nails, stop by to get some when you are on your way to W.V. They will go right into your basemant wall with the aid of a big hammer!

I clean the chains with oven cleaner, spray w/PB Blaster, hang from nails in the shop 'til fall.

Extra chains hang on nails in the garage but most chain live in an old milk crate in the truck alond with extra wedges and few cans of chile.

What brand of chile is the best for storing chains with?

I seem to use up chains quickly :monkey: so they are in the little box they come in, or they are wadded up in my gear bag underneath all the left handed gloves. I found a few of the right handed gloves when I was looking for a water bottle. Didn't find the bottle.

What brand of chile is the best for storing chains with?

I seem to use up chains quickly :monkey: so they are in the little box they come in, or they are wadded up in my gear bag underneath all the left handed gloves. I found a few of the right handed gloves when I was looking for a water bottle. Didn't find the bottle.

I'd go with the best, Hormel. Is there a local brand available in Warshington?

Mine are on the saws which are on shelves, spares are in the pockets on my sawing bag. If they need sharpening they`re on nails in the shed waiting until i get round to it

I like to store them in bags with some oil, but, most of the time they get the nail treatment. If they need to be sharpened then it's defiantly going on a nail so I see them in my face, until they are sharpened. :chainsaw:

For me it depends on the saw & chain... Most get stored on the saw, but for the saws that I have extra chains for, they are in their little boxes and in my saw bag, w my chaps and helmet bandaids and files. I do have an asortment of old chains haning on the wall in my barn too but those are mostly burnt up, or for in process chainsaw rebuilds.

In the field: one on the bar, one ready to go, and one salvagable in a pinch thrown in. Chain a week, so lots of "should throw outs", that I'm going to throw out. I think.

We usually keep thirty five to forty five chains hanging on nails with the lenght wrote by the nail. We keep an ammo box with about 15 chains in that we keep on the truck. We don't bother oiling them, thats what the saws oiler is for.

My chains are organized on a piece of White Oak I milled out hanging on nails. Same with the bars. This pic really doesn't show much but clutter, but it is cleaned up now. My race chain is treated a little differntly, it gets wrapped in a towel and put in to a wooden box and kept seperate so no jackass uses it for firewood(including myself)

miscoutdoor021.jpg

If they have been used - oiled, and in a plastic bag, inside a small plastic food container that take two of them (cheaper than tupperware - LOL).

Last edited:
Back