Chainsaw oil leak when in storage, Husqvarna 240. How to stop it?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woolval

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a couple chainsaws I hang on my wall for storage. Living in Ocala, Florida, I don't use them as much as I'd like, so they may hang bars down for several months. I thought I was clever by putting the bar chain plastic cover on them. But... the plastic cover was full of bar oil! This was on my Husqvarna 240, a saw my neighbor was throwing away, a saw I repaired and got running again.
So how do you store your chainsaws to stop the oil from running out of your bar oil tanks?

Attachments

• hanging chainsaws.jpg
    hanging chainsaws.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 1
If they're Huskies they're probably going to ooze no matter what.
But storing them horizontal will put the oil port above the oil. Hanging them like that puts the port at the bottom of the oil (the oil pickup is always at the bottom; hanging like that allows it to easily flow from the pickup to the port.

Yes, I looked inside the oil tank and I can see the oil output hose (whatever it's called) right there, ready to let the oil flow. I guess I'll need to do like you say for my Huskie and store it horizontally. Thanks for your feedback.

If they're Huskies they're probably going to ooze no matter what.
But storing them horizontal will put the oil port above the oil. Hanging them like that puts the port at the bottom of the oil (the oil pickup is always at the bottom; hanging like that allows it to easily flow from the pickup to the port.
Common sense.

I have a couple chainsaws I hang on my wall for storage. Living in Ocala, Florida, I don't use them as much as I'd like, so they may hang bars down for several months. I thought I was clever by putting the bar chain plastic cover on them. But... the plastic cover was full of bar oil! This was on my Husqvarna 240, a saw my neighbor was throwing away, a saw I repaired and got running again.
So how do you store your chainsaws to stop the oil from running out of your bar oil tanks?
Temperature changes cause pressure changes in the oil tank and forces oil out. It's not a closed system so if any appreciable oil is in the tank, it will leak. As the others said, the best you can do is either drain it or put it on its side.

Storing a chainsaw without leaking bar oil is simple enough. First of all you must know the reasons of oil leaking which includes poor ventilation, overfilled oil and leakage in oil line. You must have to make sure that these problems don't exist before storing a chainsaw.

Now while storing keep in mind few things: Don't store on either side, always store chainsaw vertically and make sure you have detached the spark plug. That's it.

I store my Husky & Jonsered horizontally on the 'bar side'. (ie: oil/fuel caps up) No oil on the top they are stored on, but my case gets filled when I transport them upright. Probably should open both caps before I put them up.

I'm surprised no one's stated the obvious. Try everything and see what works for your saw. If nothing works that wouldn't surprise me.
Saws are supposed to leak, that's part of their job description.

Meanwhile a couple layers of heavy cardboard on a piece of plastic will catch the oil.

Chain saws are territorial and tend to mark their territory.
I've found that to also be a characteristic of Harley Davidsons, male dogs and women.
Ya i would get a little concerned if my Shovelhead wasn't marking its spot.- did a 365 husky yesterday that was leaking a lot, turned out to be the oil pump , replaced the line and the oil pump and it did the trick.- Made up an oil cap with a hose in it so I can put a couole of Lbs pressure in the oil tank- tells the problem pretty fast

I tried stopping saws from leaking bar oil even when stored horiz.
Finally decided it was easier to just store them in a large catch pan. Oil always leaks from a saw if you have a clean floor. (it's just a happening thing) If just one saw get a large metal cookie pan, dirt cheap at wal mart. I use the large plastic lids from ranchers molasses tubs. they have a lip around the edge and the large cookie pans or plastic lids are also really good when working on equipment that is greasy/oiler when up on the workbench.

I have found out with some saws if you release the pressure on the cap and then retighten the cap the saw will stop leaking This does it with my Husqvarna 55 it's also does it with my 193T arborist saw

I store my Husky & Jonsered horizontally on the 'bar side'. (ie: oil/fuel caps up) No oil on the top they are stored on, but my case gets filled when I transport them upright. Probably should open both caps before I put them up.
I have to store my Husky 435 on its side with with the caps down and the bar up. I was told it's an issue with the oil pump, and so I replaced it. Made no difference. Storing caps down ended the problem. It's a shame it does this, since it's otherwise a great little saw. Cuts plenty good enough for its size, and runs great, so long as you get a tool to adjust the carb. Came way too lean from the factory.

Did you try releasing the pressure off the cap in the bar oil compartment then retighten the cap.
Because even with my 038 mag does the same thing if I release the cap before I put it away retighten the cap then put it away It doesn't leak.

Did you try releasing the pressure off the cap in the bar oil compartment then retighten the cap.
Because even with my 038 mag does the same thing if I release the cap before I put it away retighten the cap then put it away It doesn't leak.
I’m going to try that next time I use that saw. It’s on the shelf at the moment, since the makita xcu07 battery saw I got recently will do everything the 435 will.

Latest posts

Back