How many times do you handle your wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was reading a thread and someone brought up handling wood multiple times so I started thinking about how many times I handle it. 1. pile to stack, 2. stack to garage, 3. garage to inside, 4. into stove.

I guess you can consider the actual splitting as a step, which it is, but I was going by the logic of once it's split.
you need to recount,,from the time the trees standing................... and ones laying on the ground,,are only I step less.. even if someone has them all sawed to length for you.....

it takes 7 times, if the tree is down. 8 if i take the tree down. 8 to 9 cords 25,000 pounds moved 1 time?

What do you burn in and what's your process?

I guess it would also depend on the definition of handling - my thinking is a step involving touching the wood with your hands = a handling.

I usually process where the tree lands, and it's usually a windfall. So step 1 is splitting while tossing splits from wedge to trailer, step 2 is stacking from trailer to pallet, step 3 is putting in fire from pallet. I have an indoor boiler, FEL, pallet jack, and walkout basement.

As I am trying to count this out, it reaffirms my previous suspicions that I handle my firewood too many times! The most amazing thing is throwing each piece around multiple time, it is still a mess when it comes in the house!

After tree is cut down and cut up, (1) pick up rounds onto splitter, (2) splits stacked in truck/trailer, (3) splits unloaded and stacked in barn, (4) splits loaded in truck and taken to the house (5) splits moved to basement, (6) splits put into wood furnace. (7) ashes out of the furnace and onto the garden.(does this step count?) :lol:

In the burning season, sometimes the wood bypasses the barn and is delivered to the house from the woods (standing dead ash) this saves 2 steps!

Standing tree to ground, then cut into rounds
rounds to trailer, haul trailer home
trailer to pile
pile to splitter
splitter to stack
stack to wood box
wood box to stove
stove to metal can
metal can to trailer, haul trailer to dump
empty metal can, return home

Can save many steps by splitting it where I drop it, but I don't have the time/manpower.

I handle my the least number of times as ossible. granted, if I am cutting my own wood I will end up handleing it more than I want to. I am sort of a selective scrounger when it comes to getting wood. Lots of times I will take my dump trailer to a logging site. They always have junk wood they dont want. They will usually load it on the trailer for me and I take it home and dump it off, usually laying a couple of poles sideways for the logs to lay on. so the tree has been handles a few times before i get my hands on it. I have a good friend that is always needing something worked on and he a 392 husky saw. He brings his stuff to the shop for me to fix/weld/build, and I turn him loose with that big husky chainsaw and in just a little bit he will have it all bucked into rounds. so the wood was handled another time, I didnt do the handleing, but i swapped my work for his. when it comes time to split, well my splitter has a adjustable height 6way wedge.. I have a boom mounted winch on the splitter to handle those big uglies the timber company gave to me, so i just hook the splitter up to my tractor and back it beside the pile of rounds> I hook my dump trailer up behind the truck and will back the trailer just under the wedge of the splitter. Take the boom and lift a round on the splitter, pull the control valve and let the spits fall in the bed of the trailer. As i continue splitting, the round being split will push the already split rounds toward the front of the trailer. When the trailer gets full I drive the truck over to the shed, back the trailer in and slightly raise the bed and stack the wood under the shed. If i have lots of help, I'll back the splitter just under the shed and take the tractor and push the rounds up to the splitter and my helpers can stack right off the wedge. It takes five folks to keep the splitter fed and the wood stacked without a lot of waiting, so we can fill the shed pretty fast. Usually done with splitting and stacking in about 4 or 5 hours, just depends on how many breaks we take. Since my wood shed is a pretty good distance from the basement, I use my JD gator to haul the wood to the house, My basement has double doors so i just back the loaded trailer right up beside the wood stove and stack the wood. One good load will last a week and I might hual in 2 loads if they are calling for lots of bad weather. I lost count how many times my wood is handled, but except for the split it all at one time deal, I hardly ever break a sweat and I havent had to physically lift anything heavy.

I handle my the least number of times as ossible. granted, if I am cutting my own wood I will end up handleing it more than I want to. I am sort of a selective scrounger when it comes to getting wood. Lots of times I will take my dump trailer to a logging site. They always have junk wood they dont want. They will usually load it on the trailer for me and I take it home and dump it off, usually laying a couple of poles sideways for the logs to lay on. so the tree has been handles a few times before i get my hands on it. I have a good friend that is always needing something worked on and he a 392 husky saw. He brings his stuff to the shop for me to fix/weld/build, and I turn him loose with that big husky chainsaw and in just a little bit he will have it all bucked into rounds. so the wood was handled another time, I didnt do the handleing, but i swapped my work for his. when it comes time to split, well my splitter has a adjustable height 6way wedge.. I have a boom mounted winch on the splitter to handle those big uglies the timber company gave to me, so i just hook the splitter up to my tractor and back it beside the pile of rounds> I hook my dump trailer up behind the truck and will back the trailer just under the wedge of the splitter. Take the boom and lift a round on the splitter, pull the control valve and let the spits fall in the bed of the trailer. As i continue splitting, the round being split will push the already split rounds toward the front of the trailer. When the trailer gets full I drive the truck over to the shed, back the trailer in and slightly raise the bed and stack the wood under the shed. If i have lots of help, I'll back the splitter just under the shed and take the tractor and push the rounds up to the splitter and my helpers can stack right off the wedge. It takes five folks to keep the splitter fed and the wood stacked without a lot of waiting, so we can fill the shed pretty fast. Usually done with splitting and stacking in about 4 or 5 hours, just depends on how many breaks we take. Since my wood shed is a pretty good distance from the basement, I use my JD gator to haul the wood to the house, My basement has double doors so i just back the loaded trailer right up beside the wood stove and stack the wood. One good load will last a week and I might hual in 2 loads if they are calling for lots of bad weather. I lost count how many times my wood is handled, but except for the split it all at one time deal, I hardly ever break a sweat and I havent had to physically lift anything heavy.
How many times could you have handled wood in the time it took you to type that post??? Lol

Latest posts

Back