How much per board foot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechknhwk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how much do those of you that own bandsaw mills charge per board foot just to run them on someone else's logs?

I've paid anywhere from .20 to .35 abft. Usually I pay a fee of like $200 to $220 plus a fuel fee to get them to my logs. The fee covers 1000 bft. It's hard to beat a good sawyer.

I usually end up moving my logs to the mill and I pay .30 bft.

One thing to remember is you are responsible for any nails in the logs. Usually costs me $30 a bandsaw blade.

Thanks fellas. If anyone charges more or less based on geography let me know.

What do the owner operators think it actually costs them in gas and blades or other misc expenses besides the mill per board foot?

Thanks fellas. If anyone charges more or less based on geography let me know.

What do the owner operators think it actually costs them in gas and blades or other misc expenses besides the mill per board foot?

I run a circular saw stationary unit and it cost approximately 20 cents a board foot to function a legit part time business. That is paying all taxes and insurances. I charge 30 cents per board foot for custom sawing. Should I hit a nail, it cost $2.00 per damaged tooth. One nail will damage ten teeth on average. Should I see iron hanging out of a log, I will overlook it closely and may reject it depending on bark characteristics.

Sometimes I make out, other times I lose my shirt. Output volume (straight logs) can decrease cost per board foot. Iron in the logs can drastically increase cost to dollars per board foot.

Latest posts

Back