How to determine mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How can you determine the bar mount your saw can take? Is it reflected by the first four numbers stamped into the bar?

Will all bars that fit a certain saw begin with the same first four numbers or are these numbers only relative to a certain manufacturer?

I hope someone will chime in with answers for the above, I would like to know.

But, specifically, my saws are not where I am right now but for instance, I need to know if my ported Husqvarna 346xp can use same 20 inch Stihl ES bar as is on my ported Stihl ms362 saw. I recall my 362 bar's first four numbers are 3003 and it uses a 3/8 sprocket and is 050. I have a bunch of mostly full chisel chains for the 362 but I am thinking of putting a 24 inch bar on it and if I could put the 20 inch bar on the 346, the chains would get used. Seems I recall that, generally, the answer is no, the bar on the 362 won't fit on 346 but I was wondering if any mod would make it work. My 346 has a .325 sprocket on it but I do have a 3/8.

EDIT: As for using the chains on the 346, that is the concern... so, if my 362 bar would not work on the 346, could I get a proper 20 inch bar for the 346 and use all of the 20 inch Stihl chains?

Now, I recall something else! Further confusing me is a Husky dealer sold me this 20 inch bar for my 346 to use with the Stihl 72 link 3/8 050 chains... is this correct? -- Oregon bar 200RNDK095

How can you determine the bar mount your saw can take? Is it reflected by the first four numbers stamped into the bar?

Will all bars that fit a certain saw begin with the same first four numbers or are these numbers only relative to a certain manufacturer?

I hope someone will chime in with answers for the above, I would like to know.

But, specifically, my saws are not where I am right now but for instance, I need to know if my ported Husqvarna 346xp can use same 20 inch Stihl ES bar as is on my ported Stihl ms362 saw. I recall my 362 bar's first four numbers are 3003 and it uses a 3/8 sprocket and is 050. I have a bunch of mostly full chisel chains for the 362 but I am thinking of putting a 24 inch bar on it and if I could put the 20 inch bar on the 346, the chains would get used. Seems I recall that, generally, the answer is no, the bar on the 362 won't fit on 346 but I was wondering if any mod would make it work. My 346 has a .325 sprocket on it but I do have a 3/8.
Essentially the answer is no , not without adapters and often modifying the oil delivery holes in the bar itself. Each bar manufacturer uses a different code number for their bars. The bar slot dimensions differ between saw models.

Now, I recall something else! Further confusing me is a Husky dealer sold me this 20 inch bar for my 346 to use with the Stihl 72 link 3/8 050 chains... is this correct? -- Oregon bar 200RNDK095

I will start at the bottom first
It's the narrow bar tail style which is called
K095 mount as shown at the end of number.
At the front of the number indicates it's a 20" bar. 72 drivers is correct for 3/8 also.
The bar must also say 50 on there by the number. The bigger sizes would be .058" or .063"
That's the gauge (bar grove gap)

Assuming he matched it up correctly then you should be able to just change the sprocket to 3/8
Some cases you may have to change drums but I think you are ok there.
If it is the little drum spine size( 5/8) then it may be difficult to find a 3/8 sprocket
They also have 11/16 and 3/4 spline ,I believe.

If the 346 requires K095 mount, how would one know that? Where does one find that info? Is it marked on the saw or in the manual?

If the 346 requires K095 mount, how would one know that? Where does one find that info? Is it marked on the saw or in the manual?
You can do a manuals search for that saw under specifications.

I am 100% on that.
The narrow mount is most certainly a k095 mount at 8.2 mm
I have heard it referred to as A095
or K(A)095. I believe that was from European members

In regards to the 346, 357/359 all use small mount narrow tail bars.
I have owned all those saws.
I understand the 362 Husqvarna can come designed for either one or the other.

365 and up are all wide mount. 9mm
That the break (s)

After a while you'll just know the relevant ones. Husky has two sizes that I know about (maybe there's a small one for baby saws?). K095 for everything under the 562, d009 for 562 and up. Stihl has 3 sizes. 3005 aka a074 for everything up to 261, 3003 aka d025 for 261-661 and 3002 for the 880.

You can also Google "346xp bar mount" for example to find what you need, in most cases anyway. Might have to dig a little.

Here is a link to a pdf file you can print and save. Or just type "oregon guide bar mount code" into a search.
Oregon Chain & Bar Guide (outdoorking.com)
There is likely an official one at Oregon's site.

The a tails are smaller at the powerhead end most likely for a 6 tooth 3/8lp sprocket. If you put the holes in alignment the a tail continues farther back perhaps another 3/8 inch. This is not the way it is drawn in the sketches though. .325 bars in 13 and 15 inches this is unreliable it seems as one can get the a version when the K is expected.

Other brands of bars may take more effort understanding their codes.

The Stihl 3003 bars can be adapted to the large husky mount with another piece, or a small section of tubing or similar on the Husky studs. No talk of adapting to the small husky mount though.

If one has a bar and chain and curious if the length is correct just find a nail on a wall, put the chain on the nail and insert the bar. Observe the room for a sprocket.

To be so simple, chain saws are so friggin complicated! The learning curve is quite steep.

I had one helluva time with a bar/chain problem one time on this 346, which I bought used. As it turned out, I think it was a 'slightly wrong' chain for an unusual, but fitting bar. Or vice versa, lol.

Point being, you try to do right and get what you need, but figuring out what is needed is often not obvious. And then sometimes you buy something and later realize, "Aw, crap, I forgot about such-and-such for that saw."

Below are some tables and graphics from the Cannon Super Bars Flyer as well as the Stihl Bar & Chain catalog. This information will cover most, if not all, bar mount information for all "modern" saws. There are older saws and various others that may have be different but I can't speak to that as I don't dabble in anything older than my 026s and 066s.

Just for note:
  • Cannon C1 = Oregon K095 = Husqvarna "small mount" (can also be used on the Stihl 3005 mount (024/241/025/250/251/etc)
  • Cannon H1 = Oregon D009 = Husqvarna "large mount"
  • Cannon S1 = Oregon D025 = Stihl 3003 (for 026/260/261 up to 066/660/661)
  • Cannon S2 = Oregon E086 = Stihl 3002 (for 084/088/880/881)
1607096533852.png

1607096581658.png

1607097011797.png

1607097161240.png

Seems you are good to go with the bar he sold you providing you can match up a sprocket with the drum spine you have.
Worst case scenario, you would need a larger drum spine.

As far as a mod? The 3003 is the size I use in Stihl lite bars to adapt over to 372/390.
In order to do that then I have to buy an adapter bushing and then I hand file out each adjuster hole (or drill) and will need to buy my chain with one extra driver or hand file the top of the slot a little more.
Those two things are 'no big deal.
You would have to file both of them out and also channel in the oiler holes slightly.
Should be easy to do with the right tool.
You will have a bit more slop with the adapter holes on the bar studs.
Probably not an issue with that saw.

Seems you are good to go with the bar he sold you providing you can match up a sprocket with the drum spine you have.
Worst case scenario, you would need a larger drum spine.

As far as a mod? The 3003 is the size I use in Stihl lite bars to adapt over to 372/390.
In order to do that then I have to buy an adapter bushing and then I hand file out each adjuster hole (or drill) and will need to buy my chain with one extra driver or hand file the top of the slot a little more.
Those two things are 'no big deal.
You would have to file both of them out and also channel in the oiler holes slightly.
Should be easy to do with the right tool.
You will have a bit more slop with the adapter holes on the bar studs.
Probably not an issue with that saw.

I think the OP is talking about 3003 bars and a 346xp which runs k095. Have you had any luck using an adapter in that situation? If so, I'd love to know about it because I have a bunch of bars and chains in 3/8 60dl for stihl mount that I'd LOVE to run on 346s.

Like others have said, there are lots of different mounts, just like there are many different sizes of tires for cars. You really don't need to know every one, just what fits the saws you have, or maybe, what saws a bar that you have fits. Attached are some other helpful references to add to those above.

The bars are not always stamped with the same information. For example, when Oregon makes bars for an OEM manufacturer, or to be sold as part of a bar+chain set, they are sometimes identified in a different manner than those sold as replacement bars. The silhouette chart can be helpful with the measurements to ID these.

I tried some bar adaptors, but for me, that added to the confusion, and now I go with bars that fit (no small parts to lose in the field). But the adaptors can be a good option for certain circumstances.

Philbert

Attachments

• Oregon Bar Part Numbers.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Windsor Bar Mount Codes.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Oregon bar mount patterns.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
I think the OP is talking about 3003 bars and a 346xp which runs k095. Have you had any luck using an adapter in that situation? If so, I'd love to know about it because I have a bunch of bars and chains in 3/8 60dl for stihl mount that I'd LOVE to run on 346s.
Ryan, my friend..that is actually what I was talking about when I referred to "you" as opposed to "I". That's what I was saying he needs to do for his mod situation..
I believe it to be easy. Among the regular mods that I do for the 3003 to the wide mount Husqvarna (372/390) you would need to do a short and shallow trail to match the oil holes for this situation.
There is .8mm difference in the stub base.
There is some slop anyway and we lift the bar up and tighten. So potential you raise it another .4mm.
I have run the 'Husqvarna' wide mount on my 262xp and narrow mount on my 266 many times have I in a pinch way back in the day. The oil still runs down the outside of the bar. Just sayin'

@Ryan'smilling
I was looking on Cannon bar.com
to see if there was a better adapter plate.
I didn't take in consideration of the stud centre distance. The one I used is 44mm between centres.
They list the 562 at 38mm.. but that is 12mm slot to 9mm
You would have to measure up the 346 centres. If it happens to be 36mm then they have one that fits most Echo small saws that measures 36mm centres . It is 12mm to 8mm opposed to 8.2.
That MAY work perfectly for the 346???

I think the best is to make all your own plates.
You just need some flat plate ground down to 3003 bar slot (12mm is it??) width and drill your centres. If you cut the length through your centres and grind then ovel then you won't lose any adjustments. They do actually design a few with open ends.
It may save you from lengthening the tip of the bar slot if your chains end up slightly short.
Let us know how you make out if you go for it.
Cool, man.

Back