How would you tackle splitting big Doug Fir rounds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hired a tree service to remove some storm damaged trees. What you're looking at is 36" Doug Fir rounds sliced in 16" sections. I'm just curious how you'd split these? Would a 27 Ton splitter in the vertical position split these? Should I quarter them with a chain saw to get them more managable. Just looking for a plan of attack for these monsters.

P1090165.jpg

a 27 Ton splitter in the vertical position
That'll work. If that wood is green let it dry some and you'll do better. A lot of folks like to noodle, rip-cut the rounds, but that's a lot of unnecessary saw work, fuel you don't need to burn, and fumes you don't need to torture your lungs with. The beauty of rounds is that they roll into position. Use some small bits on the ground to even up the underside of your rounds with the foot of the splitter--makes it easier to slide into position.

Like Greenmachine said, you can get a head start with whacking a line across with a maul.

No matter how you go at it, dry wood will separate easier than green (in the conifers anyway).

Hi Dave, another Webfoot here, what part of Oregon are you in?

with that size of D Fir, probably the NW part of the state?

we have a 27 ton DHT that runs either vertical or horizontal, it has handled that size and larger D Fir without any trouble.

I second the suggestion to use some lumber to level up the rounds on the splitter foot, that makes life a lot easier

Doug

Thanks guys. My 27T splitter went thru these like a hot knife thru butter. All it needed was a couple inches of bite from the edge. The splitting is relatively easy. Getting these monster to the splitter and positioned is the hard part.

I use an 8 lb maul and split red oak that size on occasion , did you consider getting a "can't hook" , that will help you wrestle those rounds over to the splitter

Why use ANY THING but the splitter? All the other crap is so unnecessary. I don't see any reason to hit it a few times with a maul or axe to get a few lines in it. Talk about unnecessary work that's it. Simply take the splitter over to them and split , and it doesn't make a dang weather the rounds are green or dry. I've been splitting same day, fresh cut, huge oak rounds with my 35 ton splitter all winter long to get ready for next firewood season.... I start early.... and never stop.... but your 27 ton will do just fine. Crank up the engine and go for it.

Before I got my splitter I would use my ms460 or 661 or just any saw I wanted to test out in the wood after I bought it to split the rounds which was a lot of fun. I love to run a saw and I'll find any excuse to fire them up and cut a while. So that would be my second option or maybe my 1st depends on how bad I wanna cut.

Thanks guys. My 27T splitter went thru these like a hot knife thru butter. All it needed was a couple inches of bite from the edge. The splitting is relatively easy. Getting these monster to the splitter and positioned is the hard part.
Sorry didn't see that ya had it all figured out congrats glad the splitter did well for ya.

It would probably take as long to position them for quartering with a chainsaw then to get them positioned on the splitter. I have a peavey which helps a lot. I think I need to work smarter by getting the splitter as close as possible even if I have to dig a small tunnel under the round for the splitter's foot to slide under. I might use a digging bar to pry them up and insert some small round logs under them to make them easier to adjust.

Yeah it's a good feeling for sure ... will try and get 2 hr's in most days and only ran the splitter once this season just to run some gas thru
I screw around a lot and take days off but that's part of being retired so everything is suppose to be fun now

Thats what it boils down to is what you enjoy and what is more fun for ya. Also personal is key to how a certain person will want to do anything in life. I love saws and also love my splitter. I can tow either one anywhere I need to go and get the job done. Power saws in the bed of truck and splitter on the hitch ball and away I go..

My rounds are in my trailer, I get my trailer tail close to my splitter, run a plank from the trailer,,, roll em up split em it at least gets them il half.
Or
I also have a pipe across my sea cans,, i use a log dog into round and a good rope and my atv to pull the round up,, the splitter is rite under the pipe.
Splitter i burried under the snow now.
snow1.jpg

Back