hurricane Frances

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey if anyone is interested I will come to FLA to help out. If anyone is heading down from the northeast. Give me a call on the cell 315-882-1553. I have all my own climbing gear and saws. Money to be made!!! To bad others have to suffer!!:(

Last edited:
rainout

We are supposed to get 3"-5" of rain today and more tomorrow from this. It started this morning and will be raining through tomorrow, it's too wet to work outside today. Ran around the house like a nut with a ladder cleaning leaves from the gutters this morning to clear the downspouts. Sounded/looked like Niagra Falls out there. Found the kids wiffle ball jambing the downspout on the house and a waulnut jambed in the drain on the flat roof of the garage/shop . Light wind, lots of rain.

A crane operator here that went to Fla is back already. He said the work wasn't there as much as everyone thought it would be. It appears that the local tree companies have most of the work already, and a lot of the out-of-state guys are cooling their heels.

Maybe he was just in a bad location?

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
""skilled professionals, with the tools, know how and nerve"
To do what, cut down broken trees? Yes it takes all that do it well and safely.

pretty much the only point i was making.

guy,
i, like yourself, work with injured, sick, and "nuisance" trees. i take great pride in the ones i save from disease and pests. the ones i save from human ignorance make me an arborist(although not board certified). the ones i pull off houses, the bmw, and the, koi pond without adding to the damage, well those make worth top dollar.

no offense taken.

"the ones i save from human ignorance make me an arborist.
the ones i pull off houses, the bmw, and the, koi pond without adding to the damage, well those make worth top dollar."

Then we're in the same boat, working the same balancing act. NO offense meant. :)

Leaving 2 a.m. to spend a half day in GA with TreeCo Dan Nelson working with his minor storm damage, then down to gainesville fla to snatch up all the insurance dollars I can--stretched, of course, by rolling in 2nd- and 3rd- priority treepair work with the clearthehouse stuff.
;)

On the way back I hope to have the time to see the lady in NW GA whose trees got butchered; will slide the pay scale down a bit on that one.

Somebody please remind me why people move to florida. What attracts them?

Is it:

heat
humidity
hurricanes
tornadoes
poisonous snakes
alligators
hordes of insects
scorpions
poisonous spiders
sinkholes

Maybe it's the AC and the palm trees.:confused:

Brian,

Actually I can't wait for snow. I guess people are just wired differently w/ their thermostats. I never could get into the beach scene unless it was in Maine or Prince Edward Island. :D

Somebody please remind me why people move to florida. What attracts them?

10 months of shirtsleeve weather every year. No salt on roads, ever. No state income tax. Very low cost of living. One of the most vital and resilient state enonmies in the entire US. I wish there were some real negatives, maybe so many would not continue to flock here!

Jimbo

Native of Miami, FL

I’m in the Bahamas right now and there’s a lot of tree work to do in the area, I’m not going to stay that long though, just to do house repairs and such on my own property. Power and phones are still down but this satellite phone is the cat’s a$$!

Heard the rain and wind has kicked up in S Ontario, hope there’s not going to be more work to do when I get back.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
I’m in the Bahamas right now and there’s a lot of tree work to do in the area, I’m not going to stay that long though, just to do house repairs and such on my own property. Power and phones are still down but this satellite phone is the cat’s a$$!

Heard the rain and wind has kicked up in S Ontario, hope there’s not going to be more work to do when I get back.

Hey Rob
You dog!!!
I know your down there doing work but at least your down there!
Where is your place down there?
Went to Grand Bahamas one time.
Went shark fishing and drift fishin!
What a blast
No damage our way just a ton of rain so we can't work!
So when are you coming back?
Later
John

Hey Silver you sure your not going for Bonefish or Dorado. The Best time of year for sharks is in our winter. Mostly reef sharks who wants to catch those tame babys?
Here's a shot of a Sailfish. My friend John Myer from NJ builds sport fishing boats out of Pompano FL. they are called Little Harbor, Rocky if you ever want to go out let me know.

I would have to say Silver your going for the Bonefish.This last picture was taken on a fly rod. When I spoke to him lastnite the sea's were 18 feet the past week and getting bigger.
12377.jpg

12378.jpg

12380.jpg

Back