Husky 55 Closed Port 46mm Top Ends Available From Meteor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I was comparing the photos here to the "having a hard time finding a CP 55 piston" thread and the thread where Brad cut windows in the piston to make a 55 piston that would work with a stock 55 cylinder. This meteor kit does not have a windowed piston. But, the bottom of cylinder is open, like some other of the modifications that Brad and others have done to stock 55 CP cylinders. So it appears that this kit is a hybrid and not a copy of an original CP 55 cylinder? Probably to utilize an already existing piston that they were already manufacturing? What say you all?

And will probably run pretty good.
I dont doubt that is probably true. Trouble I see is that it is probably going to cause some confusion for people that want a piston for a CP top end but they can only buy the entire kit not a single piston. But the kit is different than stock so its not compatible anyway.

Come on Pogo lets get this one stirred up! :baaa:

Feedback from end user and heck of a builder is already good on these elsewhere in thread. Case is closed in my eyes. Good to go replacements.
Are you talking about this particular kit? If so then I missed that thread. Or are you talking about that style of cylinder from the that has been modded or from the Jonsered and poulan family of saws?
Is anyone selling these kits yet?

And will probably run pretty good.

I'm counting on it, Randy. And if Stihlbro's mod of an OEM closed port cylinder to effectively achieve the same basic design in another thread is any indication, it oughta be a real wake-up to a Husky 55 in a 46mm configuration -- especially with such a tight combustion chamber.

So, is this the basic solution you and others were looking into getting produced a couple years ago, or were you more focused on just the pistons for the smaller CP cylinders? And are these 46mm kits fairly new, or were they around back then?

I've been running one of these Meteor top ends in my Husky 55 Rancher for a while now. It runs nice, stronger than the original Mahle open port it was equipped with. And as I've mentioned in other threads, I think this cylinder will be a good candidate for some home porting fun....

I was under the impression from the original post that these were brand new, but I'm now getting thinking that may not be the case.

Ive ran one on my 51 for a couple of years now.i think i posted pictures pre hostile take over but were lost.
The meteor is a super nice kit.makes a big bump in compression over stock.with a gasket delete you'll be looking at 175lbs compression.definately keep the decomp.if you plug the decomp be prepared for busted knuckles.I actually installed a big rescue handle on mine.

I was under the impression from the original post that these were brand new, but I'm now thinking that may not be the case.

Sorta what I was trying to ascertain myself.....considering all the effort folks seem to apply toward finding the legendary Holy Grail closed port top ends for these saws...or at least the pistons. 'Course there are workarounds for the lack of an AM piston for the 51cc Rancher including cutting widows into a full-skirt piston or using a windowed piston and modifying the cylinder to essentially create the same porting as the Meteor kit, but in a 51cc config, of course.

Either way, and whatever ya wanna call it......,closed port, open port, or hybrid, the 46mm Meteor kit is clearly a superior solution to either of the original designs. I'm just surprised it hasn't been a more popular and more discussed solution for the 50 series Huskys. Also surprised someone hasn't done all the porting number comparisons, (or even the stock number comparisons for that matter) among all the variations of these top ends. Would be an interesting study.

I'd love to have a nicely ported one. Beyond my current skill set, but maybe one of these days I can afford to get one done.

Hell, I'm just happy I discovered they exist at all!

I'm still waiting for a aftermarket P5000/55CP piston option. I've seen plenty of cylinders sitting around and guy's who aren't interested in modifying pistons to make them work just for a stock work saw.

I'm still waiting for a aftermarket P5000/55CP piston option. I've seen plenty of cylinders sitting around and guy's who aren't interested in modifying pistons to make them work just for a stock work saw.

There is a partner 5000 44mm aftermarket piston out already. Chainsawr sells them. http://store.chainsawr.com/products/jonsered-490-chainsaw-44mm-windowed-piston-kit-503-10-02-01-new

pogo there is a online seller folks in the know get stuff before folks in the states offer them in their stores here. Thats how the other build has already been done. He says it pulls a 20" fine too. ;)

Latest posts

Back