288xp bites and bogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shug360

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. I have been reading things on here for a long time. Just now joining. Anyways. I have a husky 288 original not a repop. I originally got the saw working for my uncle logging in my teens. I have it about 20 years. It was rebuilt with a 281 top end until it broke a ring. I put a 288 top end on the saw. Which is a meteor top end. It’s runs great as long as you don’t lean into the saw. When I was younger I thought that’s just the way it is. Well I wound up buying a 044 10mm wrist pin. Not to brag or says it’s any better but I can lean on it. It freaking cuts. And I know that husky should do the same. I dropped from a 8 to a 7 sprocket. Trying to give it some more torque. It only helped a little. Any thoughts ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love the saw as it was my first. I would really like it to eat wood better than my 044. Has new plug 155 psi on newer top end. I feel that my hi/lo settings on the carb are ok. But maybe not.

Hey guys new to the forum. I have been reading things on here for a long time. Just now joining. Anyways. I have a husky 288 original not a repop. I originally got the saw working for my uncle logging in my teens. I have it about 20 years. It was rebuilt with a 281 top end until it broke a ring. I put a 288 top end on the saw. Which is a meteor top end. It’s runs great as long as you don’t lean into the saw. When I was younger I thought that’s just the way it is. Well I wound up buying a 044 10mm wrist pin. Not to brag or says it’s any better but I can lean on it. It freaking cuts. And I know that husky should do the same. I dropped from a 8 to a 7 sprocket. Trying to give it some more torque. It only helped a little. Any thoughts ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love the saw as it was my first. I would really like it to eat wood better than my 044. Has new plug 155 psi on newer top end. I feel that my hi/lo settings on the carb are ok. But maybe not.
Did you replace the seals- vac presure test- something took out your old top end and it might be an air leak
So I did split the case. New case seals and new crank seals in it. I did pressure check the the saw. No issues there. I noticed someone blocked the governor circuit in the carb. Maybe this could be part of my issue? But I know the other top end failure was a lot of hours. The ring got thin and broke off in the exhaust port

Could be the carb, think I tried that with a 2100 once and it didn,t run right, maybe it needs it to feed your top end gas used, don't know, maybe someone else will chime in - you could always try a chineese carb to test it out and hopefully you get one that works - being long winded here the green or sometimes black oem gaskets for your manifold are the ones you should be using i find aftermarket China ones not very good at all

Lets see a photo of the chains cutters and corresponding depth gauges- could be you just have way too aggressive a bite for the timber you are cutting and the 044 is a lot chain milder.
The 288 should eat the 044 for breakfast in bigger timber- but not so in small diameter stuff.

Lets see a photo of the chains cutters and corresponding depth gauges- could be you just have way too aggressive a bite for the timber you are cutting and the 044 is a lot chain milder.
The 288 should eat the 044 for breakfast in bigger timber- but not so in small diameter stuff.
Like I said. I’m no way at all trying to say my 044 is a better or more powerful saw. I cut mostly oak and cherry some maple and elm. I run a 20” bar and chains both. I run 3/8 pitch full chisel chains. This Chain could use a quick lick as it has been used a bit. But I don’t believe it to be to aggressive for the saw

Attachments

• 72471367353__B41C3C2A-0770-4B25-BFD0-57554CAB04CD.MOV
    1.4 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Like I said. I’m no way at all trying to say my 044 is a better or more powerful saw. I cut mostly oak and cherry. I run a 20” bar and chains both. I run 3/8 pitch full chisel chains.
Try cutting without using the dogs and see if it’s better
I have cut both ways it. I run all my saws the same. I sharpen the chains the same. I tried attaching photos but I don’t see them

Yeah a 181/281/288 should pull like a tractor....especially 20"...just saw pics...raker might be low. What kind of wood? Vid will tell a lot. Send (or maybe take?) it to @huskihl and it will cut like
So I took gord404 advice and threw a chineeseium carb on it…. And sadly I have to say its hasn’t been through any wood yet but it feels amazing! Boy it’s got a crack to it when you hit the trigger! So we shall see. The china carb doesn’t have a governor circuit. Another thing I noted was that when pulling the tillotson carb open was that it actually went past full throttle and the blade was actually closed a bit

So after getting sick the holidays and rainy weather and overtime at work. I finally got the 88 out to cut some wood. Seems to have a little bit more power with china carb. But the issue I am having now is surging. Like it’s running out of fuel. I didn’t get a video of it running. I did put an aftermarket tank on it. So maybe the fuel pickup isn’t very good. Or maybe the diaphragm I’m the china carb isn’t working properly. So gonna go through my factory carb and maybe get it back on working properly. We shall see. I don’t think the gaskets are blocking that vacuum surge opening but will check it as well.

Latest posts

Back