Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

356marlin

Reaction score
Good morning, I purchased a disassembled 500i that I picked up for a good price with the understanding that it needed a top end. My experience level only includes one top end on an 036 that had obvious P&C damage, which I replaced both, reassembled, and the saw still runs great. This saw does not have obvious damage to me, but I may not have the level of experience to see the problem. Piston rings move freely and I don’t see any scratches on the piston. Cylinder has some vertical shiny lines but no transfer or anything that I can feel. Any thoughts from those that have the experience would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 22EF7D1E-C934-45F3-8942-883A7C6FB0B2.jpeg
    22EF7D1E-C934-45F3-8942-883A7C6FB0B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 5843AFD7-4208-407F-AE08-4A57185135DB.jpeg
    5843AFD7-4208-407F-AE08-4A57185135DB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • E0C9703E-C315-473F-94B5-6DCE4A4FB015.jpeg
    E0C9703E-C315-473F-94B5-6DCE4A4FB015.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 576EDE37-0198-467F-BF0F-8EE6714CFBF9.jpeg
    576EDE37-0198-467F-BF0F-8EE6714CFBF9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 54DB8AAF-D2F2-48BB-8296-8ADC21778EAE.jpeg
    54DB8AAF-D2F2-48BB-8296-8ADC21778EAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I don't see any damage just normal wear
I'd clean the cylinder up and if the piston is not too worn I'd rering it or replace the piston and run it.

No expert here but I am a little concerned about the dark areas in the cylinder - almost like it was caught before it got worse. What do the rings look like? Are you planning on replacing them?
New in the box and only test fired at the factory looks the same way. The chrome lining is very shiny and any evidence of a piston riding on that lining is instantly noticeable

New in the box and only test fired at the factory looks the same way. The chrome lining is very shiny and any evidence of a piston riding on that lining is instantly noticeable
Would you think the rings should be replaced, just because I’m there? They look fine and spin freely. Not sure how to inspect them to know if there’s any wear.

Would you think the rings should be replaced, just because I’m there? They look fine and spin freely. Not sure how to inspect them to know if there’s any wear.
If they aren’t marked up, I see no need to replace them. I can’t imagine they are worn out yet. I would take a look at the crank and bearings though just to make sure they weren’t causing the low compression

If they aren’t marked up, I see no need to replace them. I can’t imagine they are worn out yet. I would take a look at the crank and bearings though just to make sure they weren’t causing the low compression
Maybe I misread this - how would crank and bearings affect compression - extreme slop that reduces piston travel?

I think one way to inspect rings would be to take them off the piston and put them in the cylinder , square them up with the piston and check the end gap .there are published specs

Funny enough I got a 500i same situation as yours . Was understanding it was low on compression .. Turns out leaking decomp , could hear it hissing . Plugged it , now it's got monstrous compression .

Definitely atleast get new rings and a gasket . if u want to try plug the decomp there only couple of $.

That makes sense - seeing as how a slight difference in the location of the schrader valve in the compression tester can make a big difference.
Yep I would think a 30–40 psi drop would be enough for a dealer to give it that designation. And if all the balls or rollers were on one side of the crank bearings, that would keep the piston from going all the way to the top

Latest posts

Back