Husky 562 vapor locking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SL Wrestling

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have recently purchased 2 husky 562's one with a 20" bar and the other with a 24" bar. We are running them at an elevation of 9500' and afternoon temps around 85. We changed the fuel filters, tried opening the fuel cap after shutting them down, and are running a 32:1 fuel mix. These things run ok in the morning but as the day gets hotter they start vapor locking. Does anybody have any ideas?

Are you running fuel with ethanol in it?

One thing I do when cutting in hotter temps when I shut the saw off for any length of time is "stove pipe it". That means setting it up against a tree or log with the bar sticking up in the air. That way the heat from the cylinder and muffler can escape instead of heat soaking the carb and warming up the fuel/tank.

Are you running fuel with ethanol in it?

One thing I do when cutting in hotter temps when I shut the saw off for any length of time is "stove pipe it". That means setting it up against a tree or log with the bar sticking up in the air. That way the heat from the cylinder and muffler can escape instead of heat soaking the carb and warming up the fuel/tank.
We will try that if we get a chance. It's just frustrating that they may only have 20 tank fills run through them. I tried removing the top cover upon shutdown and still vapor locks. The bosses are now talking about sending them back. We will see what happens tomorrow.

I had a problem with mine running E10 winter blend. It was boiling in the tank after running only a few minutes. My saw was cutting out and not restarting. As well as not pulling a prime/purge. New ethanol free fuel solved my issues.

I bet it has nothing to do with the saws, especially if the problem is happening to all of them.
Unfortunately we are only able to get gas which contains 10% ethanol. The saws run strong so no complaints there. But shut it off to refuel and or file, it takes 10 minutes of pulling on the rope to get it started.

You can see it bubbling in the primer bulb. As for the tank, I slowly opened the cap and heard a pressure release, so I completely removed the cap and let it hang by the string. About 2 seconds later it's like old faithful geyser, about 10" high.

It's the E10, I run into it with most of my saws on hot days. Apparently the E10 vaporizes much easier than straight gasoline.

It's the E10, I run into it with most of my saws on hot days. Apparently the E10 vaporizes much easier than straight gasoline.
Is there a remedy to this problem? I personally use a Stihl 460 for cutting firewood and haven't had this problem. I have had the Stihl for 3 years now and run the E10 at 40:1 mix in oak, juniper, and doug fir. The husky's have only been run in ponderosa pine and aspen. Today 95% of what I cut was aspen.

Is there a remedy to this problem? I personally use a Stihl 460 for cutting firewood and haven't had this problem. I have had the Stihl for 3 years now and run the E10 at 40:1 mix in oak, juniper, and doug fir. The husky's have only been run in ponderosa pine and aspen. Today 95% of what I cut was aspen.
I have not found one, other than trying to cool it off by letting it idle a bit before shutting down and trying to set it in the shade. I still often have to start it on full choke when hot, and even at that it's tough to nurse back. Some of my saws just won't fire back up until they cool.

I bring a second saw when it's hot.

We tried idling before shut down and putting them in the shade. Taking extras is not an option as there are 6 of us cutting and only 6 saws available.

The other saws we are running are 2-273's a 263 and a 259. These saws are not of the auto tune design and have no issues.

Maybe give some of the Arizona members here a heads up where they are goons back? They should be able to get a good deal on some saws that are easily fixed (for those who can purchase their own gas!).

Maybe give some of the Arizona members here a heads up where they are goons back? They should be able to get a good deal on some saws that are easily fixed (for those who can purchase their own gas!).
Yeah will do. I haven't been with DOT for long and it's been hard getting used to their purchasing practices.

Latest posts

Back