Husky 562XP - Nothing But Problems!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl chain is tempered slightly harder and a bit more chromium than others, but it's not that much different.
Except that Stihl chain can't be filed as sharp, because of the same thicker chrome. :D

All the differences are small though! :msp_smile:

stihl chain, while harder to put and edge on, will hold an edge longer than any husky/oregon chain. oregon chain is soft by comparison, and it is easy to tell when hand fileing it. stihl chain is made by stihl, and is more expensive for a reason, it is a superior chain in every way. so i call b.s., on both of your statements............

No! I was responding to his statement that his Stihl chainsaw goes twice as long without sharpening. Sorry but Stihl chain isn't that much better, and he hasn't even said what kind of chain he is using. So I call BS on you're statement.

Except that Stihl chain can't be filed as sharp, because of the same thicker chrome. :D

But due to the superior power of all Stihl saws they simply power through this complex issue.....LOL!!!

But seriously I find little difference between Oregon, Carlton and Stihl in the same tooth configuration concerning edge durability....the only difference I find is in the price....at the local Stealership a loop of 20" 3/8 chisel is nearly $10.00 more than the same loop of Carlton or Oregon at other shops in the area........Stihl is good chain...but not that good IMHO!!!

It's obvious someone needs to give you lessons on how to file a chain. :msp_biggrin: I'll handfile literally several hundred times a cutting season and it's no issue to get the Stihl chain as sharp as Oregon. Both are good chain. I do have to work harder getting the Woodland Pro
(Carlton) as sharp. I do believe most people have an easier time sharpening Oregon, it seems softer to me and is a little easier to work with. It's a close as you've stated, it seems we get a little more chain life out of the Stihl chain, I do like LPX, wish it was just a little harder, due to the fact we're in dirty wood most of the time.

It's obvious someone needs to give you lessons on how to file a chain. :msp_biggrin: I'll handfile literally several hundred times a cutting season and it's no issue to get the Stihl chain as sharp as Oregon. Both are good chain. I do have to work harder getting the Woodland Pro
(Carlton) as sharp. I do believe most people have an easier time sharpening Oregon, it seems softer to me and is a little easier to work with. It's a close as you've stated, it seems we get a little more chain life out of the Stihl chain, I do like LPX, wish it was just a little harder, due to the fact we're in dirty wood most of the time.

Actually I've found Woodland Pro in 3/8 to be very good wearing chain...surprisingly...though made by Carlton it should not be confused with Carlton branded. Carlton is much closer to Oregon in finish quality. Woodland Pro is very poorly sharpened right out of the box and the first filing is a real struggle, even a new file has a job digging in and also the bits don't have the polished chrome finish of the others...they look more like they were shot peened. But again at 1/2 the price of Stihl....and they do wear very well....

Troll is just wagging the dog.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread!

ALL saws have a wart here and there, we shall see how this issue runs its course eh?

From hardest to softest

Stihl
Woodland Pro
Woodland
Carlton
Oregon

Granted Stihl wont last twice as long but it does hold a edge better than the other chains I have IMO

I was left several spools here last November and several loops of semi-chisel chain and did alot of play with each brand in four different type of wood

But I've seen the light and use manly full chisel chain now :D

It's obvious someone needs to give you lessons on how to file a chain. :msp_biggrin: I'll handfile literally several hundred times a cutting season and it's no issue to get the Stihl chain as sharp as Oregon. Both are good chain. ......
I agree that both brands make very good chain, that fit slightly different conditions - it is not a big issue, but you never can file or grind a chain sharper than the thickness of the chrome.

562xp with 20" bar lists at $749. MS 362 with 20" bar list at $709.

Thank you. Those are the same prices as here, mid Michigan. If a 562xp were a $600 dollar saw I'd probably own one and have my own thread going.

Actually I've found Woodland Pro in 3/8 to be very good wearing chain...surprisingly...though made by Carlton it should not be confused with Carlton branded. Carlton is much closer to Oregon in finish quality. Woodland Pro is very poorly sharpened right out of the box and the first filing is a real struggle, even a new file has a job digging in and also the bits don't have the polished chrome finish of the others...they look more like they were shot peened. But again at 1/2 the price of Stihl....and they do wear very well....
Curious - the only WoodlandPRO loop I have so far is 3/8 LoPro, and it's stamped Carlton on the chain. I haven't run it yet.

Curious - the only WoodlandPRO loop I have so far is 3/8 LoPro, and it's stamped Carlton on the chain. I haven't run it yet.

I cant speak for the low pro...but the 3/8 chisel is what I was speaking of...is is made by carlton but if you buy a loop of Carlton branded and a loop of Woodland Pro and compare them side by each for fit and finish the difference is easy to see. Again I have had good luck with Woodland Pro 3/8 chisel...just a tad less smooth overall....

Latest posts

Back