Husqvarna 162 se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyHogg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad gave me his old Husqvarna 162 se. Took it to the repair shop and they said it needs a new piston and cylinder and the parts are obsolete. Would like to repair it if anyone knows where i can find aftermarket parts. Have done a fair bit of web searching with no success. Most everything else is in good shape and would hate to junk it. Any info would be appreciated.

go try find a top end from a 266, 268, or a 272 and put it on there. will be way better. you should be able to find one if you look hard enough. i have a few 266 cylinders but they are all open port and pistons are pooched also.

you can get the AM ones on ebay but make sure it's nikisil plated if you buy chinese or just order a meteor kit. PM mastermind and ask him if he can get a kit for you. be sure to figure out why the piston and cylinder got pooched in the first place before you bolt a new one on.

Thanks westcoaster90!! I am not an engine guy so i have a motorcycle friend that is helping me out. He says to get a new top end as everything else is ok...he doesn't even think the piston/cylinder is that bad but now that it is all apart i thought i should rebuild as long as it not too costly. I just need to be sure that the parts i order are going to work. I did see the meteor kits but not in the 162 se.

go try find a top end from a 266, 268, or a 272 and put it on there. will be way better. you should be able to find one if you look hard enough. i have a few 266 cylinders but they are all open port and pistons are pooched also.

He will need more that just the top end if he does that, but it surely is doable.

If your mechanic friend doesn't think the cylinder is too bad, clean it up with some muriatic acid and sandpaper. Search the forum, there are lots of threads on how to do it. Then you should just have to get a piston. I think the piston from a 266, 268 will fit, but maybe someone else can chime in on that. If you go this route, you wouldn't need to change the intake, carb hookup like you may have to with a 266 or 268 cylinder.

the 162 piston is a tad smaller then even the 266. i had a 162 se bottom end that i through a 272 top end on and didn't even swap the carb or intake block. everything besides the p/c was original to the 162 and it ran just fine. still runs to day a matter of fact. i'm sure it qould have been better to just get a 272 carb but all i had was a puston and cylinder so i made it work.

I just picked up a 162se,Gonna replace the bearings,seals etc.Got a 169a tillotson,268xp Mahle cylinder,and a 266xp piston,and the stock 162se muffler,I like scrambled eggs!

The 266 never used an open port cylinder, so they likely are from a 66 or a non-xp 268.

Putting a 268xp or 272xp cylinder on a 162se is not so streight forward, as they need the corresponding carb and intake, and the top cover isn't high enough - not sure about the muffler. It is doable, but far from a streight bolt-on.

Back