Husqvarna 261 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm looking for an aftermarket piston for Husqvarna 261. I was told by several different people that a 262 piston will work, and I've found both 262 and 261 pistons online, however all the ones I've found are 48mm and the 261 I have here is 43mm. What's the deal? Am I stuck with OEM? If some 261's had a 48mm piston, how do I know I'm getting the right OEM one?

The 261 is 48mm, like the 262xp - the piston just was dished on the top to reduce the compression and power to meet another price and market point - cylinder is the same. The 261 piston is much more restricted as well.

To make a 261 into a 262xp, you just need to change the piston, muffler and clutch. The power gain is between .7 and 1.0hp, depending on which specs you look at. :)

The lowest number is if you compare a late (maybe still current) production (Brazil made) 262xp to the best 261 specs - the higher one is if you compare the KWF test results on the 1997 262xp (Swedish made) with the lowest 261 specs (there were two versions).......

Last edited:
This 261 is not 48mm . . . I got a 262 piston to install on it and it is TOO BIG. The cylinder on this 261 measures 43mm.

Most likely, yes!

Actually, the measurement is right, the measurer is wrong. Yep, I was looking at the OD side of my calipers when measuring ID. :censored:

It's 48mm of course. The piston I got that was SUPPOSED to be for a 262 is 50mm, so obviously that was incorrect, and was what threw me.
Thanks....off to order another piston.

Actually, the measurement is right, the measurer is wrong. Yep, I was looking at the OD side of my calipers when measuring ID. :censored:

It's 48mm of course. The piston I got that was SUPPOSED to be for a 262 is 50mm, so obviously that was incorrect, and was what threw me.
Thanks....off to order another piston.

Don't feel bad, I played around with a 350 that needed a ring and I didn't know there were 44mm and 45mm used on EPA and non EPA saws.

Back