Husqvarna 550... cutting out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFPace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My trusty '13 550XP is cutting out. It acts like the switch is being turned off when the saw is in a cut wide-open.

I took it in to the dealer and he hooked it up to the computer and we updated everything.
The coil number was entered into the program, etc. I stood beside the tech and he showed me all the bells and whistles, etc .Run time...
It has a new fuel filter, plug , etc.
Anyway, after all of this it's doing the same thing.
The saw had to get hot and then it started acting up.
After the tech did his stuff at the shop it ran fine. Of course it messed up after I brought it back to the woods.

This saw has given no problems since day one. I love it.

Thank goodness for the 257 and 345.

Ideas?

The tech said that a carb would be next. I would have thought the computer would tell if the carb was bad.

Advice and guidance is appreciated.

Tom

My trusty '13 550XP is cutting out. It acts like the switch is being turned off when the saw is in a cut wide-open....
...The saw had to get hot and then it started acting up.

Tom
Very interested to see what you find out. Mine is doing the EXACT same thing.:(

Keep us posted.

I just fixed a customers 550xp that would idle fine but would die if you punched it. The carb was full of sawdust. In both the inlet and fines were getting through the nylon filter. I took the carb apart, tossed in new gaskets, cleaned it up good and she runs like new. I also put the non nylon type filter on the saw as well as a new fuel filter.

He's a tree worker and the saw has many hours on it with no maintenance ever being done.

I also originally ported the saw for him before this problem occurred. One tiny beast saw it is:rock2:

I just fixed a customers 550xp that would idle fine but would die if you punched it. The carb was full of sawdust. In both the inlet and fines were getting through the nylon filter. I took the carb apart, tossed in the gaskets, cleaned it up good and she runs like new. I also put the non nylon type filter on the saw as well as a new fuel filter.

He's a tree worker and the saw has many hours on it with no maintenance ever being done.

I also originally ported the saw for him before this problem occurred. One tiny beast saw it is:rock2:

This saw has 35 hours on it and is a '13 model. I have trouble believing he computer on that number. The guy that is the primary user just shook his head.
Could the computer be wrong on run times?

I don't have a clue sorry. I did also turn that screw in the carb out a little bit and it fixed the off idle stumble when cold.

I think Duce is on to something with the coil. I was just tossing out another possibility.

I’m thinking of a 550xp since there are seemingly plenty new discounted copies out there since 550xp Mii is released.

What do y’all think about buying this saw without a dealer nearby ?
Madsens is 4 hours away and there is one dealer with service 2hrs away.
I read so much of needing dealers for updates.
Is it fools folly buying an AT saw without a dealer?

Conversely, I live 5mins from one of the best Stihl dealers in the state.
The 550 seems so bichin thou... kinda want one.
Sorry for the minor derail of ot.

I’m thinking of a 550xp since there are seemingly plenty new discounted copies out there since 550xp Mii is released.

What do y’all think about buying this saw without a dealer nearby ?
Madsens is 4 hours away and there is one dealer with service 2hrs away.
I read so much of needing dealers for updates.
Is it fools folly buying an AT saw without a dealer?

Conversely, I live 5mins from one of the best Stihl dealers in the state.
The 550 seems so bichin thou... kinda want one.
Sorry for the minor derail of ot.
To me, it is more about having dealer support if you want an autotune saw. What good is having a saw that you cannot work on if you have no dealer. Heck, around here, Even WITH a dealer it is hard to get an autotune saw fixed due to incompetence.

You mentioned you have a good Stihl dealer... THAT's where I would be looking at the 261CM!:D

Back