I Want To Destroy My 015 Yet Again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woke up early today after going to talk to my friend the Stihl tech yesterday so he could rate how I rewired it. He tested the compression, looked at the carb, gapped the flywheel, and said I did everything correctly but I somehow needed to attach the ignition chip to the saw to ground it. Fast forward to today, I screwed in the chip to the bottom of the saw, cut the end off with a Dremel, and attempted to start it. I started it with the way it said to do so in the manual, and all it did was FLOOD! It didn't even sputter. I am going to try and start it when the gas evaporates tomorrow. Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

I wired it the exact same way this dude did with the same ignition chip and I followed the parts chart when I assembled it and did every possible troubleshooting in the service manual and on the internet.

If points, I'd keep the points. I can almost always get points so work and once set correctly, you rarely have to do anything. The one trouble I had with mine was the wire to the points rubbed through on the bottom where it goes through that little gap. As for the flooding, was anything done to the carb since it last ran?

If points, I'd keep the points. I can almost always get points so work and once set correctly, you rarely have to do anything. The one trouble I had with mine was the wire to the points rubbed through on the bottom where it goes through that little gap. As for the flooding, was anything done to the carb since it last ran?
The points condenser is gone. Long gone.

The carb was cleaned and rebuilt.

OK I take it you did check spark? Try turning the needles all the way in a see if it starts. If still floods, more carb issues. If it starts and cleans out, ignition OK. If not, back to ignition.
I have had bad coils also. Used to put a lot of those point replacement chips in. The plastic cased ones worked the best. Think they were made in Australia.
Points? Gone since the 80s.

If you rebuilt the carb, it’s possible the diaphragm has to be lined up and hooked to the needle jet lever proper, if not the needle lever is held open by the spot it’s supposed to hook around on the diaphragm and will continuously let fuel thru the carb and will cause the flooding

Send it to me! I'll take it! When the Lektronic ignition failed in mine, I bought a fleabay coil with the timing thing built in. No need for the Stihl module then. I have a new Stihl module I'd sell. My 015 still runs like new.

if you’re really serious about learning to repair engines, I highly recommend you find a willing mentor. Otherwise you’ll bounce around like you are doing, not learning anything, getting no where and achieving nothing. I know you’re young, but this is the time to dedicate yourself to something that will help you later in life.

My advise, be it a bit direct. Stop bouncing around and wasting everyone’s time on here. You go from one thing to another, wasting everyone’s time and achieving nothing with it. Focus on getting a good foundation on repairing, everything else will branch from that. So far, in a few weeks you wanted to be doing about 5-10 things and so far every one of them has been brushed under the carpet and everyone that’s helped you has wasted their time.

Don’t send that saw, get a set of points and a condenser, fit it and you’ll have a running saw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2563732845...drqvGdNapblDHUo/p4MyByw1Y=|tkp:Bk9SR-bK3r6hYw

OK have you observed this setup? Rather compact one piece.
Guess you can fix anything if you have unlimited time and resources.
I look at cost and reliability when working in a shop.

Latest posts

Back